No announcement yet.

Which fishing line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Less drag in the water, and you feel every knock are the main things i reckon.
    Fishing in deeper water i find your line stays vertical better with lighter weights as opposed to thicker mono catching the tide and having to use heavy weights..

Comment

Gotta be braid for boat fishing , 50lb braid is far thinner than 40 lb mono , hangs loose, doesn't coil up, get far more on the spool , less drag in the tidal flow, needs less weight to hold bottom, transmits every bump and knock , you can feel the steel of the wreck as you bounce your lead over it. On a boat, there are no downsides to braid , it's far superior to mono.
      Don't tie knots in it , just tie a snap swivel on the end and attach your mono rigs directly to that , it's that simple , don't fill your boat reel with mono
      As for brands, power pro is as good as it comes , no need to pay £100 for a spool though, buy it from china off eBay , same stuff, even the same label for about £20 for 1500 yards .

Comment

Another vote for cheap Chinese braid, 50lb ,normally comes on a power pro spool.

Last lot took less than 3 weeks to arrive.

If you've never tried braid before, defo give it a go.

Comment

Got to be PowerPro - best on the market, using Dyneema is like using clothes line (sorry Norman). If I had to use mono it would only be Berkely Big Game / Daiwa sensor.

Comment

Originally posted by volante View Post
            Got to be PowerPro - best on the market, using Dyneema is like using clothes line (sorry Norman). If I had to use mono it would only be Berkely Big Game / Daiwa sensor.
            no Davy not Dyneema Dynon 3000 nice and smooth and soft

norm
            ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
            . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
            ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Originally posted by oldessox View Post
              don't fill your boat reel with mono
              Except as backing behind your braid
              Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithB View Post
                Except as backing behind your braid
                You just reminded me of the one possible disadvantage braid might have Keith , the way it digs into itself on the spool when I pull for a break. I don't think I've ever used mono on a boat , so I'm not sure how it copes with pulling for a break? I think it might have been you that correctly advised against letting the spool take the strain of a 50lb break , but I still do it , which causes the braid to dig in to the line on the spool. All it means is I have to release it manually a few times on the next drop down though, which I prefer to the alternative of wrapping around a glove or whatever which often ends up in me losing 150ft of braid
                I don't use mono backing either, I fill the spool with braid , it takes about 300m , which is about 7 times the depths that I'm fishing, so I can afford a few snap offs at the boat before I need to worry about not having enough line on my reel.
                I tape the braid to the spool to prevent it slipping.
                It's also a good idea to lose a few feet off the end of the line before the start of each trip , it gets quite frayed on the wrecks after a while.

Comment

We don't have that bother, maybe the half spool of nylon behind the braid helps. We just point the rod down the line and let the drift of the boat free the snags keeping tight hold of the spool.

Nigtmare trying to free snags with mono, it just stretches.

Me being a tight @rse I just turn my braid round to get two seasons out of it.
                  Last edited by KeithB; 04-01-2014, 01:17 PM.
                  Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Gotta be braid for boat fishing , 50lb braid is far thinner than 40 lb mono , hangs loose, doesn't coil up, get far more on the spool , less drag in the tidal flow, needs less weight to hold bottom, transmits every bump and knock , you can feel the steel of the wreck as you bounce your lead over it. On a boat, there are no downsides to braid , it's far superior to mono.
                    Don't tie knots in it , just tie a snap swivel on the end and attach your mono rigs directly to that , it's that simple , don't fill your boat reel with mono
                    As for brands, power pro is as good as it comes , no need to pay £100 for a spool though, buy it from china off eBay , same stuff, even the same label for about £20 for 1500 yards .
                    When you say don't tie knots in it I meant end tackle. Which knot do you use to tie on the swivel or make a loop for a rig?
                    A bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work

Comment

Make a loop in the end of your main line (braid) to attach snap link then just use thE snap link to attach your rig of choice.
                      Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Fishing Knots | How to Tie Fishing Knots | The Fishing Geek

This is the knot I use to tie my braid to my snap link , it's as solid a knot as I've ever used , don't try to tie braid to mono though, just tie the snap link on the end of your braid and attach everything else to the snap link. There could be half a dozen knots in your rig below the braid, but they are all mono to mono knots which all anglers are well used to tying.
                        By the way , I received a 1500 yard spool of power pro braid from china today , bought off ebay for £11.50 plus £10 postage , or visa versa any way £21.50 including postage , I only ordered it a week or so ago

Comment

You just reminded me of the one possible disadvantage braid might have Keith , the way it digs into itself on the spool when I pull for a break.
                          We wrap braid around a bit of wood or a plastic pipe with a strip of old wader glued to it. Even with three or four turns around the wood, the braid can still slip and cut into the wood and probably doesn’t do the braid much good. The wader coated plastic pipe works much better and saves sliced fingers.

Comment

I am being persuaded and have looked at the Chinese braid on E-bay but am getting a tad confused. Of the ones I have found they say Power pro is Dyneema and yet in one post on here someone said it was "is like using clothes line"

Help?

Oldessox could you post a link to the one that you bought as I can't find that one?

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice
                            A bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work

Comment

I think what he meant to say was "Using Dynon" which is thicker than Dyneema....

This is the braid i ordered...

Top Quality PE Dyneema Spectra Extreme Braided Fishing Line 328yards/300m | eBay

Comment

100%PE SPECTRA DYNEEMA BRAID FISHING LINE 275M 300M 500M 10LB-100LB | eBay

Comment

Working...
                                X