• Show
Clear All

• boat re-naming

is there really a correct procedure,

is it bad luck, to re name a boat,

or, is it all just old women's tale's.

any info or thought's much appreciated.

davey

Old wifes tail i think, its the captain that runs the boat not the boat running the captain and he who makes his own luck..

I have renamed my new boat, thou i kept the name of my last boat the same, i did take her out to sea with a few people onboard and break a bottle of shampas over the bow before saying a few words to confirm its new name in the light of the sea gods
    ................__................................ .............................
    ____[ ~ \_____
    [__On-A-Roll__/
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    P.B
    SKATE 204lb
    COD 51lb
    LING 32lb
    TOPE 40lb
    CONGER 25lb
    HADDOCK 10lb
    HALIBUT 37lb
    COALIE 16lb
    BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

that's what am on about richy m8, av heard of people going to sea with a bottle and witnesses to re-name,

and av heard of people just painting over on dry land.

no hard rule's as such then, just old talk........!

cheer's
      davey

Comment

Not that i know of anyway rules wise.

As i say i just went 1mile off the piers, said a few silly words, tied a bottle of shampas to a rope and let it crash off the anchor covering the bow with shampas then headed in. Time will tell how the luck turns out but i feel a boats luck is based on A/ the weather and B/ how a owner looks after the boat.

Weather wise, the worlds fisherman are in the hands of the planet and boat wise, i service and clean everything every month testing and checking all sorts so do my best to reduce "bad luck" . I say if you want to rename it go for it
        ................__................................ .............................
        ____[ ~ \_____
        [__On-A-Roll__/
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        P.B
        SKATE 204lb
        COD 51lb
        LING 32lb
        TOPE 40lb
        CONGER 25lb
        HADDOCK 10lb
        HALIBUT 37lb
        COALIE 16lb
        BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

good thought's,
          thank's for the reply m8.

good luck and hope to see you out there soon.

cheer's
          Davey.

Comment

When I was a lad, I had a boat on a swing mooring in the Wansbeck estuary and I recall one of the local fishermen bought a boat which he re-named.
            There was a sort of ceremony and if my memory is correct the boats original name was written on a piece of paper. The paper was then burned but the ashes were retained to be scattered on the next outgoing tide.
            Fishermen are a superstitious lot but if it keeps you on the right side of mother nature I would go for it (and it's cheaper than champagne)

Comment

Changed mine without thought

Comment

Changed mine twice, once while the boat was in the water and once on dry land.....Theres all sorts of rituals to do if you Google it

Comment

used to go out with jimmy hanagan on the golden chance out of sunderland years ago he had the boat out of the water for months painting ect black and yellow he was going to call it the bumble bee ,I said you should call it no ****ing chance as I have never had a good day fishing with you.
                  went out the next week on his first trip and I had a cracking day bag full of fish
                  consett warlord retired

Comment

Changed four boat names without a thought without even loosing a sinker
                    P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

ships radio licence has name of vessel on so its on ofcoms list also they have details
                      of boat size ect and what safety gear you have aboard

Comment

Picking the right name is the hard bit.

If I relied on a painted name or vinyl sticker to keep the boat safe from harm then I’d have other things to worry about. People try some strange ceremonies when renaming boats; try banging a bottle of champagne or sacrificial virgin over the boat and see what trouble that brings.

Comment

Wouldn't mind watching the sacrificial banging of the virgin
                          P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Originally posted by canman View Post
                            Wouldn't mind watching the sacrificial banging of the virgin
                            Owld bill stone renamed a few boats in cullercoats canman,I sold him a little clinker boat called the omega he named it biro he christened it in the queens with about 10 pints of stones

Comment

where am a ganna find a virgin in blyth........?

thank's for the reply's lad's

davey

Comment

Working...
                              X