Booms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booms

Anybody tried them DIY plastic booms from uk hooks ( Article in boatfishing ) . I take it they would work on bait , jelly\'s and leadheads ?

Yes Dave thats all i use.There good once you get the hang of the heating and bending of them.
    Give them ago there cheap and work well,i use them for flowing rigs,leadheads and so on.

Comment

I thought it was you that give me a couple to try Rich , I was\'nt sure . Where\'s the best place to get a leadhead mould and jellies by the way ( I know you\'ve told me before ) .

Comment

Dave, let me know when your next coming up and you can borrow my leadhead mould

Comment

dave
          i always use them when bait fishing from boat with large baits for ling or cod as it holds the bait away from the line on the drop. What i do is tie a trace at home with a swivel on the top 8 inches below this tie a muppet or hokkai dropper then put your boom on then a bead and then tie a snap swivel below this. the length i use is about 3 foot altogether which gives you enough movement through the boom for bite detection and you feel the bites on the muppet or what ever. to keep them all tidy i put my rigs on pole winders that the coarse anglers use(they come in large sizes big enough for boom to sit alongside.
          Hope this give you some more ideas.
          regards
          jason :P
          give a man a fish and feed him for a day - teach the man to fish and feed him for life!!!!

Comment

Bob,

Thanks , I will borrow that if it\'s ok . Probably see you next week at marina .

Jason ,

Thanks for that , sounds like you get the best from both worlds , bait and lures . The reason for the interest in booms is I always use the killer rig , but............some of the lads I\'ve had on the boat this year have had some excellent catches with bait ( you know who you are ! ) and have hammered me every time . So , change of tactics required .

Comment

lol Dave Well there is the odd site on the net selling twin tails (there the best---orange or red) but if your just after a hand full then most main dealers such as veals, Bazand and so on sell 10 for about £4 for the 4\" or you can get the bigger 6\".I use both and find the larger ones last longer but the catch rates or still the same.

I also find that the lead heads work best for cod but they still work well for the ling on a slow drift.I dont need to tell you there results lol you have seen for yourself .

Comment

Dave have a look for a plastics firm locally, you can get something like 12 meters of stiff tube in 3 meter lengths for a tenner and then you can make them as long as you like (the kit ones arn\'t long enough). Easy to bend just pass them over a blowlamp whilst bending, it only takes a second.
                Try fishing a two ounce 6 inch storm wild eyed shad off the boom deadly for cod, bit expensive though when the big ling start biting them off.

Comment

My hapenny\'s worth. A Boom is a bit of kit designed to help in bait presentation, mainly by trying to keep your snood off your rig body. No one has been able to invent a similar similar land based product! Your tackle will always get tangled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The on;y way around these problems is to use as net! Swimming crab a;arm bells!

ayde taht an arll .\';.l\'

[Edited on 27/9/2003 by Ell]

Comment

Richy-
                    Ta very much , couple of trips left this season text u next week .

Dave - Is that a two ounce leadhead with the shad ? and where do you get those wild eyed shad ?

Ell- thanks , I think ?

Comment

The storm shads have the weight inside them and are simply tied to the snood fished off the boom carrying a five or six oz lead. Masterline are the uk distributers of storm made by rapala they are bloody expensive though unless you can find a trade outlet or buy from the states.
                      As rich says twintails are very good and also avaliable in lumi, fish using a leadhead or simply slide a drilled bullet onto the snood.
                      Old mouldy will spply twintails in bulk and also leadhead moulds.

Comment

Thanks Dave , just checked them out on Veals website . What size leadheads do you use with the twintails Rich / dave ? and what size weight on the boom .

Are you fishing over the winter Dave or wrapping up till spring ?

Comment

Leadhead size 1 to 2 oz I have moulds that make leadheads 6to12 oz which are fished direct to the mainline they do catch fish but you seem to loose 50% of fish hooked so stick with the light ones off a boom.
                          Make up your rig and try it out just under the surface with different weights, you soon see which is the best way to work the lure and which size leadhead works the best with which lure.
                          If you fancy a look come down to brid at the weekend and hop aboard, promise I wont go over 8kts lol there is some wrecking techniques I\'d like to show you top secret like.
                          Don\'t know what to do over the winter Dave will probably wait and see how the weather fans out and try and fit a few trips in when I\'me not fishing the winter beach matches.

Comment

Thanks Dave thats very kind of you , I\'ll take you up on that offer. Will check weather for next weekend on friday . You better do more than 8knts Dave , better get used to it for new boat

Comment

Will look forward to it Dave lets hope the weathers kind to us.

Comment

Working...
                              X