No announcement yet.

Booms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don\'t think rich has bough any of the gear for them before?

I get the powder coat from Old Mouldy,

the eyes from Harris angling (3-d eyes(SUPERB)),

boom tubes ad snaps from UK-Hooks,

twintails from n e where, Roger Bayzand, Gerry\'s OF Morcambe and even Rutherfords have quite a few bits in.

My shad head mould that Rich uses is from gerrys, but I\'m going to get a round head one next season. The shad head has 1oz,1/2,2,3oz cavities, but the lighter ones are best. Lighest lead off the boom I\'ve been able to get away with wrecking out the tyne was 8oz. on 28lb braid.

UK hooks do longer boom tubes now, but I\'m not sure they\'re stiff enough 4 me, I\'d be interested if you can locate some stiffer tubing locally. want stuff about 3mm o/d with a 1.25mm bore.
    Ant ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º> .¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((º>

Comment

Thanks Ant , very usefull as always . Where is Harris angling by the way ?.

I will look for some 3mm tube , but can\'t say I,ve seen any on my travels . I\'m sending for a 10oz mould from dca , seems a good all rounder for booms .

Comment

http://www.harrisangling.co.uk/
        Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Here\'s the link for Harris.........

Shop the best angling gear at Harris Angling, your ultimate destination for all your fishing needs. Browse our vast selection and reel in the big catch today.

Can\'t seem to find the eye\'s? optic 3-d they were called and yellowy green and black in clour, 8mm dia i think. But they have daily offers on and there\'s occasionally good (half price) on worms, shads etc........

and they have the shad Dave B was talking about, here

Shop the best angling gear at Harris Angling, your ultimate destination for all your fishing needs. Browse our vast selection and reel in the big catch today.

Mind you, i\'m almost certain Malcolm @ ABC have some in his bargain baskets when I was there so it might be worth giving him a ring first as they were around half that price at Harris Angling.

Ring ABC on: 01248 810009

Ah back to sticky 3D eyes yes, this is what i mean, and if you stay under $30 there should be no import duty VAT but at those prices it wouldn\'t matter!!!!!!! I think I\'ll be gettering mine from here in the future he has moulds, paint everthing.....

Barlow's Tackle. The best selection of fishing tackle components and lure building supplies. All at the best prices available online.

Here\'s the eyes link.................

Barlow's Tackle. The best selection of fishing tackle components and lure building supplies. All at the best prices available online.

This is the company that make the ones i was using

Another eye distributor......

LOL, looking at the prices, i think I paid around £1/12 eyes (ON SPECIAL OFFER TOO!!) . Needless 2 say they are \"slightly\" cheaper across the pond.........

Here\'s what a selection of mine look like when done n e way........

Close up.....

and here\'s what they look like to Ell...................

Mould wise, has Chuckles not offered u our superzoom 4 u 2 knock some out?

Comment

Ah Keith you bugger.........

I don\'t know what worse, you putting the link up b4 me or the fact that I\'ve spent over and hour doing that post and taking pics............

Still laughing at Ell\'s shad though............ Sorry m8!

Comment

What an excellent post Ant , thanks for the effort son .

Comment

Cheers Dave, not had nothing magnificent on them, best was a 14lb ling, but it\'s a fun way to catch on light gear and on some days they\'re really effective.

Comment

nice pics ant. can i borrow your mould some day as it looks the biz.

[Edited on 29/9/2003 by jason]
                  give a man a fish and feed him for a day - teach the man to fish and feed him for life!!!!

Comment

ant do you fish ya twins and shad on a 2ft hopper rig or flowing trace. i like the hopper rig just slowly raising and lowering the rod tip about 5ft off the bottom or wreck (starting on the bottom).
                    give a man a fish and feed him for a day - teach the man to fish and feed him for life!!!!

Comment

I have never been a fan of the shads, i like the large 6\" orange twin tails that i get from frasers or gerrys. I know the shads work because i have caught on them and seen others catch alot of fish on them but my first choice everytime is the orange twin tails or the orange tiger tails.

The best way to use the leadheads (i my opinion) is fish as light as you can so that you get the most out of there action, i fish a 2oz leadhead on about a 2ft flowing rig from the boom with a 8oz lead on the bottom, i use a light link (lighter line than the snood) from the boom to the lead, this just acts as a kind of rotton bottom, might save you the odd leadhead or get the odd big fish out the wreck.

The best time to use the lead heads is on a fast drift in clear water, i find if the water is coloured the catch numbers drop as well as if it\'s a slow drift. You can improve your chances of catching on the lead heads by hooking a small strip of mackerel, say 1\" by 2\" inorder to give it that little something extra.It works well for the ling when the drift is slow.tried and tested for 3 years .

Comment

ant just looked at the wolfishing link and they have a great selection of moulds etc(just wish we had the same on this side of the pond).

Comment

Richy, bring your kit next time we are out ( Sun maybe ) . I saw that Roger Bayzand use a green plant tie wire ( Similar to those on freezer bags ) as a rotten bottom .

Comment

What Rich says is the way we both do it Jason.

No probs regarding the mould, You\'ll have to get a hold of some 90degree bend jig hooks. I get 5/0+ size ones from UK-Hooks so you can puta strip of mackerel ontop of the rubber artifcial for added effect. Colourwise, I like the tiger stripe twinyails, but they are pricey but if yor making your own booms weights and leadheads like us then it\'s not too bad cost/setup. 2ft sounds about right. Although a used my boom in a fixed position rather than flying collar style. Rotten Bottoms help, Sometimes use a couple of paperclips of a bag tie like Dave M suggests.

Dave, I think rich has both the leadhead and the superzoom mould in his position and I\'ll sort some orange and plastic coating powder out for you to try too (if you haven\'t already got some).

And if anyones buying some 3D eyes from the states can they please let me know so we can possibly shares costs and get them even cheaper

Comment

If your out at the weekend Dave let me know and i will make some traces up for you, if the sea is still clear then you can give them a bash, i will.
                              Me and Ant go 50/50 for most the moulds but the lead head mould is his so if anyone wanted to lend it then plerase see Ant.

Can i just add that looking back over the last three years of my records the lead head catches 3 cod to every 1 ling and the best time of year to use them seems to have been june and july.

Comment

Ant ,

If you want to send for some eyes , I\'ll go halfers wiv ya , I\'ve ordered the 10oz mold and will order the leadhead from Jerry\'s soon , thanks for the offer though .

Can you use flouro paint instead of powder ? , heard it\'s a faff on like .

[Edited on 29/9/2003 by DaveMason]

Comment

Working...
                                X