No announcement yet.

whats the cod taking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I often fish with the reel in free spool and my thumb paying out line to maintain contact with the bottom

That's the beauty of braid tho - every lump and bump and divot feels like something is interested in your bait
    Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
    I AGREE

Comment

If you`re not losing gear you`re not close enough to the wreck or bottom, to be amongst the good uns.

Comment

yeah I`ll go along with that tony, I never engage the spool unless I`ve a fish on or , i need to reduce the depth.
        All the time is paying out line and bouncing the bottom. Bouncing I reckon is also a fish attractant by the noise and vibration.
        ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
        . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
        ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

If the fish are on the feed they will hit your bait ,shad or jig as it gets down and to be honest theres no skill involved they just want it.
          Sometimes the fish are picky, colour shape and action all come into play. Do a bit of switching and you`ll find what they want.

Comment

Originally posted by cess monk View Post
            If the fish are on the feed they will hit your bait ,shad or jig as it gets down and to be honest theres no skill involved they just want it.
            Sometimes the fish are picky, colour shape and action all come into play. Do a bit of switching and you`ll find what they want.
            Have to disagree with that , there most definitely is skill involved , even if the fish are hard on the feed you can't just go out in a boat and catch them.
            There are lots of things to learn (skills) to become proficient at catching cod , give someone who has never been out in a boat or fished before the boat keys and the choice of tackle in a tackle shop and see how many cod they catch. They aren't the hardest fish in the world to catch , but the more skilled you are at catching them the more you will catch. It's no coincidence that the same boats post big catch reports throughout the season , they are the most skilled at catching them.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by oldessox View Post
              Have to disagree with that , there most definitely is skill involved , even if the fish are hard on the feed you can't just go out in a boat and catch them.
              There are lots of things to learn (skills) to become proficient at catching cod , give someone who has never been out in a boat or fished before the boat keys and the choice of tackle in a tackle shop and see how many cod they catch. They aren't the hardest fish in the world to catch , but the more skilled you are at catching them the more you will catch. It's no coincidence that the same boats post big catch reports throughout the season , they are the most skilled at catching them.

Ray
              There you go! its the boats that keep posting good catch reports!
              Boats dont catch fish! anglers do, a good skipper will put you on a few fish and then anyone can catch them!
              10/0 hooks and plastic squid dont count as being skilled but cod take them,there are times when good anglers catch more but that is usually when theres not many fish around.
              Drop on a wreck full of cod and a trained ape could catch them.

Comment

either way it more than likely isn't happening this weekend - bonus I suppose is that the macky should be about come the next trip - now that's a fish what takes a lot of skill to catch
                Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                I AGREE

Comment

Originally posted by cess monk View Post
                  There you go! its the boats that keep posting good catch reports!
                  Boats dont catch fish! anglers do, a good skipper will put you on a few fish and then anyone can catch them!
                  10/0 hooks and plastic squid dont count as being skilled but cod take them,there are times when good anglers catch more but that is usually when theres not many fish around.
                  Drop on a wreck full of cod and a trained ape could catch them.
                  One trained to posess the necessary skills perhaps?

Ray

Comment

Yer this weekend is a loser for sure, hope it settles down for wed as was planning on a 5 days of it looks like no days at it so far.
                    ................__................................ .............................
                    ____[ ~ \_____
                    [__On-A-Roll__/
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                    P.B
                    SKATE 204lb
                    COD 51lb
                    LING 32lb
                    TOPE 40lb
                    CONGER 25lb
                    HADDOCK 10lb
                    HALIBUT 37lb
                    COALIE 16lb
                    BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Originally posted by northeast1 View Post
                      Yer this weekend is a loser for sure, hope it settles down for wed as was planning on a 5 days of it looks like no days at it so far.
                      My forecasts are showing no end to easterly winds for the next seven days , not strong winds but then they don'tneed to be strong from the east do they? Just a waiting game I guess till it all settles back down again.

Ray

Comment

Yer i am off wed until Monday but looks liek something else other than fishing.

No any North or east wind is a pain.
                        ................__................................ .............................
                        ____[ ~ \_____
                        [__On-A-Roll__/
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                        P.B
                        SKATE 204lb
                        COD 51lb
                        LING 32lb
                        TOPE 40lb
                        CONGER 25lb
                        HADDOCK 10lb
                        HALIBUT 37lb
                        COALIE 16lb