Uptiding / Downtiding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uptiding / Downtiding

Can someone please expain this to me, what happened to dropping ya lines over the side of the boat?

Yeh! thats called downtiding

[Editat el 24/10/2003 per Topecatcher]

Comment

so lets say the boat is drifting from south to north to up tide would I cast to the south?

Comment

You wouldn\'t uptide whilst the boat is drifting. Uptide fishing is carried out at anchor in shallowish water, with rods shorter than beachcasters (about 10 ft) and capable of casting up to about 12 oz. You fish by casting uptide (either side of the anchor) and hope that your grip lead holds, otherwise you will be downtiding!
        aka "Frodo Baggins"

Comment

It\'s very popular in the thames estuary and darn sarth con , been wanting to give it a try myself of whitley Bay beach or St: Mary\'s . It\'s done exactly as Chris describes .

Comment

Cheers for that Chris.

So dave do you think the area somewhere off the Whitley pipe is a suitable location to try this out.

Connie

Comment

Hope this helps
              http://www.sea-fishing.com/index.shtml

Click on boat fishing and then uptiding for cod

[Editat el 26/10/2003 per Topecatcher]

Comment

Why not con, it will take a lot of experimenting in our neck of the woods . Not heard of anyone trying it up here like . I\'ve got a brand new penn extreme uptider that I\'ve had for about 18mths waiting to try it out .

Comment

There\'s a coupla skippers off Hartlepool do uptiding.Last time I was out the skipper anchored up and evry1 just dropped over the side (downtided).Then he said \"try this\" and proceeded to give us a lesson in uptiding.If he\'d entered the sweep,he would\'ve walked it a dozen times.Some of the lads tried it and it worked straight away.This was off Teesmouth.Can\'t remember the name of the boat,but I\'ll find out if ny1 is interested for next season.By the way my m8 won the sweep with about 6lb,on uptiding.I only had my Abu and it had a roller tip ring,not recommended for casting,tried it once and cracked off.Not a popular chap on board I must say .It\'s taken me f £&***g ages to type this,so I hope sum1 reads it

[Edited on 26/10/2003 by Tat]

Comment

Hi Tat, can you give me some contact numbers for the hartlepool skippers please. Me and a mate fancy having a go at uptiding.
                    Would a normal boat rod be ok for uptiding?
                    I have a shakespear seaswell boat rod, 2.1 m long, class 30-50lb. Would this be ok?
                    Thanks for any help lads.
                    Cheers

Comment

Uptiding rods are normally at least 9ft(2.75ish mtrs).but all the lads on the boat who tried it had bog standard length rods.cos they did\'nt know they were gonna be doing it.They all caught. Like I said the only no-no is roller rings.A long trace is recommended for uptiding,2mtrs minimum.I have a list of boats I\'ve used off Hartlepool somewhere,I\'ll email it to you,along with a couple more i\'ve collected
                      .Let me know when you are going,I\'ll see what I can do about a trip.

[Edited on 4/11/2003 by Tat]

Comment

Cheers Tat much appreciated.
                        Can go anytime really. Just a matter of getting in touch with a skipper and away we go.

Comment

My email addy is thebullheaduk@yahoo.co.uk
                          The forum isnt showing it for some reason, although its selected to in my profile.
                          Cheers

Comment

Uptiding is popular off Whitby on boats such as \'Never Can Tell A\' and \'Sea Otter\' and I have even heard that the distant-water \'Chieftain\' is to have a go this winter. I use what is basically a 9\" carp rod that casts up to 6oz which gives great sport and a 6oz lead is more than adequate provided you use lightish line (20lbs is fine). Always use a breakaway lead. Best bait seems to be lug and squid cocktail but peeler crab can pay dividends though a bit expensive.

Comment

Working...
                            X