Getting through the Mackerel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting through the Mackerel

This is often a problem to some degree, from what Norman\'s said it is worse than normal this year. There must be a practical / technical answer to this problem. I\'d imagine it would have to involve disarming the hook points in some way until they reached the fishing zone. Maybe a container of some sort that would package up your trace, parachute style or something like that, which could then be released with a sharp tug or something at the correct depth and ideally retrieved.

Ya Get Mi!
    "I mock thee not, though I by thee am mockéd.
    Thou call'st me madman, but I call thee blockhead"

What about trying wrapping the hook/lure in a PVA bag (as used by carp fisherman) By the time it hits the bottom it should have dissolved.

Alternatively just use a torpedo pirk by itself and let it rocket through the water. Fix a 8/0 single hook instead of a smaller treble.

Comment

answer is dead simple, when there is loads of mackerel about take your bloody feathers off.
      Alan

Comment

lol alan thats a fact.
        Please donate to the R.N.L.I. by donating on my website www.justgiving.com/craigts

Comment

Short and to the point as usual Alan , but so very true . hey \"Charlie\" when you coming oot again you incognito sod !!! Give us a bell .

Comment

We must be fishing in the wrong spot because this year i can only remember one day where we could not get our pirks down for them. I mean we never go looking for them after we have got about 10 in the box for bait but not a good show this year.(my point of view)

Comment

don\'t try!

take a 6foot spinng rod, small fixed spool reel, 2, 3 or 4lb line and enjoy the fun, or even a light weight fly outfit

there\'s more fun in the sea than hammering cod all day. not as much to crow about as a 10lb or 15lb cod, but heaps more fun.

you are almost guaranteed to catch so less likely to be dissapointed
              ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
              Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

Just noticed the new tag Mark

Comment

Working...
                X