• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not bad for only 300 yards from shore.
    Drowning worms since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfie View Post
      Lindsea used to be moored next to me at St Peters until earlier this year. Owned by a guy who worked on the rigs. Never did get to see him. Looks a good solid boat. How does it shift with the 10hp? being displacement that should be adequate to push it along nicely.

slow mate im gonna buy something like a 40hp as 10hp only does about 6knots. i also need to get the power washer on her as she dont look liked she had been cleaned for a while lol

Comment

If its adisplacement hull 40hp isn't going to make it that much faster. You might get 10 or 12 knots max. But you'll use stacks of petrol trying to get her up on the plane.
        ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
        Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

what would you reccomend mate as im looking on ebay for decent size engines and there aint many about ive looked for 60hp but the price is a joke

Comment

Marks right, I would check it out first. I'm sure your boat has a displacement hull. If so there is a maximum hp you can run too. After that the extra power just drags your back end down with no extra speed. The hull shape can only physically push so much water ahead of it. I had a Sea Nymph which was a similar shape and the ideal for that, I was told was 25hp.
            Might save you a bit of cash.

Comment

Save your money. Have a read of this Total Sea Angler Online Fishing Magazine

Comment

Aye been there done that as they say

couple of extra knots from a big engine... and went from burning a fivers worth all day to 40 quids worth

you in St Pete's Alfie??

come and say hello... we're hard to miss and have a well stocked drinks cabinet and a big kettle!

Thought for the day:
                Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Comment

Originally posted by cocomonkey19k View Post
                  what would you reccomend mate as im looking on ebay for decent size engines and there aint many about ive looked for 60hp but the price is a joke
                  how much you want to spend!

a decent second hand 40 to 50hp motor especially if its a 4 stroke is going to be well over a grand at the very least, probably nearer 2

which makes a brand new 15hp 4 stroke seem very attractive

the suzukis are belting motors IMHO, will run all day on half a pint (or so it seems) and are so quiet you've have to look to see if they are running.

PA Lynch in Morpeth are doing them with a 5 year warranty for £1800 at the minute

all boats have a theoretically maximum hull speed, anything over that and the boat needs to 'climb out of the hole' it creates in the water and get on to the plane, so the motor needs sufficient grunt to not only shove the boat forward, but to lift the weight of it as well, so hulls are designed to 'plane' so over a certain speed they climb out of the hole and skim across the top of the water, if yours is a displacement hull, it will be designed to grip the water as it shoves it out of the way, which is what makes them very seaworthy and stable, especially if it gets lumpy, but would need a massive shove to get it on the plane - probably more than the boat was built to take

there's usually a bit of leeway either way though, roughly speaking the maximum hull speed can be worked out as 1.5 times the square root of the length, 20 the square root of 16 is 4, times 1.5 gives around 6 knots

15 horses might push you up to 7 or so maybe tops, but to get it into the low teens would be a huge leap into 60 70 or 80 hp territory, and the boat is probably just not strong enough to take that kind of power ( or weight)

Thought for the day:

Comment

thanks for that mark now i understand so might aswell stick to something smaller probs be looking for a 20-25hp motor then maybe looking towards a newer boat next year also something that can handle a little bit of speed

Comment

Mark, just moved up to Royal Quays. Was down there 2 years but too little time for fishing and having to catch the tide was a pain.

Comment

Working...
                      X