Amble Sunday - Excellent Cod day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amble Sunday - Excellent Cod day

Fantastic day out today, 40 cod between 3 of us. Although not an awesome amount of fish the quality and size were. Virtually all were around the 5-7lb mark, we weighed some. I'd forgotten how big a true 7lber is. Fish after fish were the same size and very few small ones, we must have also lost 20 good ones. Very few Coleys they must have been scared away by the Cod. Also plenty of good Mackerel about, fortunately they didn't seem to be in the same places as the Cod. We had hoped for some doublers but it didn't happen. Again prawns did the business for us but they seemed keen on deep red muppets and they were also taken on the pirk. It was quiet an hour either side of low water but after we plucked away steadily. If it hadn't been for the murky water it could have been a once in a lifetime day! Certainly I've never had such quantities of good Cod. They nearly all had full bellies of crab.

Nice 1 just shows you how good the cod fishing is this year when people say 40 cod not a great catch, i have passed the number i caught last year by 27 and it is only July....just hope people put them back for next year,.

Cracking report
    ................__................................ .............................
    ____[ ~ \_____
    [__On-A-Roll__/
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    P.B
    SKATE 204lb
    COD 51lb
    LING 32lb
    TOPE 40lb
    CONGER 25lb
    HADDOCK 10lb
    HALIBUT 37lb
    COALIE 16lb
    BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

You must have been close in with all the crabs in them. Did anyone fish crab!. Well done lads
      P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Close In

Yes we were close in. I suspect with the rain the other week the fish would have gone offshore and on Sunday with the murky water I just wasn't expecting a good day.

Everyone tries to second guess the fishing, I'm of the opinion it's a combination of the Cod's feeding cycle, food availability, tides, water colour and a lot more other things. I'm sure I've read that Cod have a 3 or 4 day feeding cycle. So if they started to come close inshore last Sunday to feed and the weather stays good for this weekend it should be a bumper weekend. I'm assuming they would slowly return inshore Monday and Tuesday have there fill then start getting peckish again this weekend. Clearer water has to help also.

On the other hand I could be talking rubbish

Comment

Working...
        X