Wicked Jack 24.3.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wicked Jack 24.3.12

After months of waiting we finally had the first trip arranged yesterday. With the boat out of the water it was simply a case of hooking the battery up, launching the boat and heading out.......unless it wasn't.

Hooked the battery up and...nothing, no power whatsoever to the engine! Thought am I missing something but no - nothing at all. Checked the bilge, GPS etc which were receiving power so realized it was either engine or wiring trouble. Luckily there were a couple of lads working on their boat who were more than willing to help and try to resolve the problem. To cut a long story short it was down to a fuse which was deep in the guts of the engine (my engine is a 50hp 2 stroke Tohatsu - not sure if anyone else has experienced this?), so changed the fuse and hey presto problem solved!

So launched the boat - which was a bit of a nightmare due to the large tide and lack of slipway which resulted in pushing and pullling the boat in over soft mud!

Anyway sorry to ramble...down to fishing or the lack of!

Myself, Graham and Pete got out to pretty heavy mist and cold temperatures.

I had originally planned to head south to Cresswell but with the mist, and the fact that I knew another boat had been down there all day with nothing, I decided to hang around the northern hill area.
    At times the sun did try to poke through which helped the temperature a bit

Fished for about 2.5 hours with not a bite - to be honest I fully expected a blank and viewed the trip as more of a testing things out and putting the boat back in the marina - this also ensured that I was not disappointed.
    Headed in around 4 between the shore and the island and was met with the heaviest mist I've ever seen. So relying solely on GPS we managed to end up between the piers (which were only just visible)...

All in all an enjoyable fist trip out to wet the appetite. I'll next be out over Easter when I hope there will be a few fish about.

Cheers, tight lines

Dave

Wicked Jack is back,well done on your first saunter out,that fogs scary stuff
    AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Originally posted by lingking View Post
      Wicked Jack is back,well done on your first saunter out,that fogs scary stuff
      aye....isn't it...

its better to iron out the problems before the season starts

Comment

well done lads, all systems working eh .. well eventually .... my that mist was thick ......

norm
        ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
        . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
        ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Wicked Jack

Well lads it was bad start to your day but you did manage to get out there and have a bash but your luck had run out no fish and to top that a thick mist too so all i can say is better luck next time okay :

Comment

looks a wee bit chilly...

Comment

A fuse is not a bad issue to have and good you got out, seems a great flat sea...just waiting for them fish to show up now...guess we spoiled with the previous two years fishing going wild from March
              ................__................................ .............................
              ____[ ~ \_____
              [__On-A-Roll__/
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
              P.B
              SKATE 204lb
              COD 51lb
              LING 32lb
              TOPE 40lb
              CONGER 25lb
              HADDOCK 10lb
              HALIBUT 37lb
              COALIE 16lb
              BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Plenty time yet , it'll soon be blazing sunshine and bags full of fish

Comment

Blazing sunshine?? when you flying to Spain then last year was a wash out from July until Oct but as for the fish wooppp yer fooker it was fishy heavan most of the year
                  ................__................................ .............................
                  ____[ ~ \_____
                  [__On-A-Roll__/
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                  P.B
                  SKATE 204lb
                  COD 51lb
                  LING 32lb
                  TOPE 40lb
                  CONGER 25lb
                  HADDOCK 10lb
                  HALIBUT 37lb
                  COALIE 16lb