Info please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I\'ll give Cow Green a go when I get set up
    Still searching for a rod & reel though, the Ron Thompson Superior I guess won\'t be up to much considering the rod alone is £19.99
    What are the Diawa fly rods like?
    Greys GRX looks tempting like
    A lad at work told me to try Brampton, anybody been up there?

Mark

[Edited on 5/3/2005 by RodOfGod]

Comment

I use nothing but the Daiwa amorphous whisker osprey rods, excellent rods.
      I have the but extension also with mine so can use it as a light salmon rod

My rods are twinned with a Leeda LC100 reel which is also used for both salmon & trout when fishing places like the river Till.
      Alnwick S.A.C

Comment

Agree with Sless that Grey\'s GRX is a good starting point. I started with a 6/7 #. If he\'s right about half price greyflex at ID go for that. Don\'t skimp on the line. Something like Greys Platinum is not silly money but is much better than a cheap line that lands on the water in coils!

Comment

Something like Greys Platinum is not silly money but is much better than a cheap line that lands on the water in coils!
          Agree with the rest of what you say, but I\'m not so sure about the last bit. There\'s cheap, and there\'s low price. On of the best lines I\'ve ever used was a DT mill end from McHardys. It\'s been in use for over 8 years and is still a good \'un. Trouble is when you buy a mill end it\'s pot luck what you get. Having said that though I bought a load of them two years ago to make up some shooting heads. I got a range of them from floater to fast sinker in every weight from DT9 to DT12, and there only a couple that were a bit iffy. But as I only paid about 30 bob apiece for them I didn\'t feel too hard done by.
          When you\'re learning you soon b*gger up a fly line, and it\'s betterll to b*gger up a 30 bob line than a 30 quid one.
          I used to use Lee Wulff TT lines a lot, but only because of the special taper. At over £50 the line itself wasn\'t really any better than ones I\'ve used at under £20.
          Bit like rods really - the \'big names\' are overpriced to b*ggery.

Just re-read this. Guess what the word-of-day is?

Cheers
          Ian D
          Cheers
          Ian D

Comment

I also use the Greys Platinum line Colossus.
            I\'ve had loads of different lines over the years and imho the platinum has been the best
            Alnwick S.A.C

Comment

I\'ve oredered a Ron Thompson Arezzo rod 9\'6\" 6/7 for £30 and a Lureflash Mamba large arbor reel with 4 spools for £23
              Hopefully they should be ok just to get me started, just need the line now.

Mark

Comment

might be out of your way, but john norris in penrith have usually got mountains of mill end lines for a couple of quid

good place to stock up on cheap flies as well, they do bags of 25 wets/drys or nymphs for around 3.50 ( wellt hey di when I was in last year)

the down side of john norris is that they stock so many other goodies its hard to resist. was in the there last year for some mill ends (wouldn\'t recommend anything esle for sal****er fly fishing) and ended up spending a fortune on more stuff that I don\'t need

http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
                Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

www.selectafly.co.uk

got some great bargains

sless

Comment

should have seen this first i think - looks not too bad for the price.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23819&item=7140915 307&rd=1

[Edited on 9/3/2005 by jason]
                    give a man a fish and feed him for a day - teach the man to fish and feed him for life!!!!

Comment

You\'re not wrong Dazzer. I nearly bought a new rod cos I thought I wasn\'t doing well with my GRX. Went to Hardy\'s to try a few out and everyting felt fantastic. The line felt different to what I was used to so I thought I\'d better try it on my GRX and hey presto my casting was suddenly 100 times better. Saved myself a lot of money that day. It was Platinum.

Comment

what was it
                        its been removed from e bay

sless

Comment

sless
                          it is still there dont know why the link does not work. If you go to ebay and put starter fly fishing in the search box on buy it comes up with excalibar starter kit rrp250 bid 59. Know a little about fly fishing and this does not look too bad for the price.
                          give a man a fish and feed him for a day - teach the man to fish and feed him for life!!!!

Comment

not too bad that little lot

sless

Comment

Working...
                            X