Tried Casting!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried Casting!!

Well, I\'ve been out today to practice my casting What a disaster! Nearly took my freakin ear off with the fly :P Gave up after about 20 minutes. Managed to cast about 10 yards
    Anybody wanna buy a cheap fly rod??

Mark

Its worth geting some instruction! It\'s not exspensive and once you have cracked it its easy!!
    Your local tackle shop should have loads of cards for registerd instructors.

Comment

Mark

Casting takes time to learn I took about 15 trips before I got the hang of it then all of a sudden it clicks. There is a lad at sharpleys doing casting lessons, talking to him last year nice bloke. Give them a ring and ask about lessons. I was taught by a couple of mates who are well into it. It makes all the difference if you are shown how to do it.

[Edited on 18/3/2005 by nigels]

Comment

whip crack away whip crack away whip crack away

Aye its a nightmare, takes a while, here\'s a tip someone gave me which might help get the wrist action in tune a bit more. Put a \'laccy mband around your wrist (casting arm) and put the butt of the rod in laccy band so it holds it against your wrist. That way you get more sued to the idea of the rod being an extension of your arm rather than something you are waving around.

try and put a conscious delay in the back cast before you bring it back forward agian, it gives the line a chance to catch up. So pull back, wait a sec or 2, then cast forward

it takes practice thats all, and I know for a fact when I get me fly gear out at easter, having not been near it for 6 months I\'ll be all over the shop for a while till I get back into it
        ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
        Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

Give it time. A lesson can make all the difference. The laccy band idea is a good one. I used to put the end of the rod inside the cuff of my coat. Don\'t put a fly on to practice. Tie a bit of wool maybe. I guarantee that you\'ll become a great caster without a fly on and particularly on a field. It\'s when you try to catch fish that it all goes to pot. Don\'t overdo it at first. You can get tired quite quickly and then start thrashing. Try not to worry too much about distance. Concentrate on technique and distance will come. Much of the time you don\'t need huge distances anyway. Remember to let the rod do the work. If you go at it like a bull in a china shop you\'ll only shock the line and won\'t have a chance of good presentation. Back of my head got quite used to having flies in it when I started and I can wear several earings if I feel so inclined!
          Try to avoid windy days as well. That seems pretty much impossible at the moment but fly fishing in a gale isn\'t what I call fun.
          [Edited on 19/3/2005 by colossus]

[Edited on 19/3/2005 by colossus]

Comment

If it is windy and you are right handed,make sure the winds over your left shoulder

Comment

rod butt up sleeve good advice and loads of practice one day it all clicks and the line shoots out, well worth the torture once you get the hang of it.used to go to killy lake every day in me dinner hour and just practice for god knows how long before going on any trout water first time got fish on was shaking like a leaf and couldent get the line back on the water just put me sea gear away and got me fly gear out might try tunstall or coldingham loch this week.
              john.

best fish 16lb cod tynemouth beach feb 2007

Comment

Cheers for the info
                Been out again today, was a bit better, only thing is, when I try to cast the fly out the line just goes limp and everything lands in a bundle about 7 yards away!
                Any idea what I\'m doing wrong? I think I\'m casting forward before the line has straightened out behind me, would that cause this to happen?
                Also, anybody know how much casting lessons usually cost?
                My mate is going up Naworth in Brampton week after next, gonna go up and have a go Anybody been up there?

Mark

Comment

yep your right - the line isnt fully \"out\" behind you resulting in the rod has nothing to \"load itself \" on which results in ,what has happened - a forward cast before it has had time to load the rod with any tension - been there done that - But it will come right before you know it - you have identified why its happened and only need to change your timing a bit for it to work .

Comment

so can you do it bri

sless

Comment

Just been helping a friend of mine through his first attempts at fly casting. Was really helpful for me cos I could really see the problems caused by faults that I know I have. I\'m sure you\'re right about not waiting long enough on the backcast. That would cause the problem you mention. Another problem that really destroys a cast is to let the backcast drift too far back. Most people say aim for one o\'clock. I find that if I aim for one I go well beyond that and that 12 o\'clock is enough. One tip I was given is to bring your arm up directly in front of your face so you can\'t go too far without knocking yourself out The other killer, which also tends ton result in cast going too far is to let your wrist break at the end of the backcast.

Comment

Sless methinks Bri has been reading books !

Comment

i think he needs lessons aswell

sless

Comment

Am good but a might not be that good

Comment

God I hope you are Terry was thinking of asking also mate. Not a clue.

Jim.
                              Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

Working...
                              X