tees signal crawfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tees signal crawfish

Hello xxxxxx I am sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with signal crayfish when angling.

Unfortunately, the crayfish are present in the Tees from Middleton in Teesdale all the way down to at least Stockton area.

Once a breading population is present in an area it is almost impossible to eradicate them and when they are in the numbers that are in the Tees, there is nothing that can be done short of killing everything off in the river and starting again. However, this has been tried in a river system in Scandinavia and a lake in Scotland but even this extreme method did not work as the crayfish returned after a short time.

Trapping may reduce he population size, but the Environment Agency do not allow trapping or any other form of removal to be used.

It is a frustrating situation and I wish there was something we could do about it, but unfortunately, at this moment in time there isn’t. My hope is that someone may come up with a targeted biological control at some point, but there is nothing on the horizon that I am aware of.

Not a response that you would be hoping for I know. All I can suggest is that you contact the E.A. in case they are involved with any research work that we do not know about.

Best regards,
    Last edited by Huahin; 22-07-2017, 02:23 PM. Reason: ...

signal crawfish

tees
    Last edited by Huahin; 22-09-2017, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Huahin View Post
      Hello xxxxxx I am sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with signal crayfish when angling.

Unfortunately, the crayfish are present in the Tees from Middleton in Teesdale all the way down to at least Stockton area.

Once a breading population is present in an area it is almost impossible to eradicate them and when they are in the numbers that are in the Tees, there is nothing that can be done short of killing everything off in the river and starting again. However, this has been tried in a river system in Scandinavia and a lake in Scotland but even this extreme method did not work as the crayfish returned after a short time.

Trapping may reduce he population size, but the Environment Agency do not allow trapping or any other form of removal to be used.

It is a frustrating situation and I wish there was something we could do about it, but unfortunately, at this moment in time there isn’t. My hope is that someone may come up with a targeted biological control at some point, but there is nothing on the horizon that I am aware of.

Not a response that you would be hoping for I know. All I can suggest is that
      you contact the E.A. in case they are involved with any research work that we do not know about.

Best regards,
      Tees Rivers Trust
      Fished short period during a summer flood 6 casts 6 crawfish came home very nice stretch of river ruined ,I've fished middleton,gainford winston egggleston barnard castle area all the same with bait used to get double figure numbers of trout all returned now nothing
      was watching a cookery programe the other night and james martin reckons there are loads in our river s and are nice to eat so there you a possible solution , trap them and eat them mebbe

Comment

Originally posted by waco View Post
        was watching a cookery programe the other night and james martin reckons there are loads in our river s and are nice to eat so there you a possible solution , trap them and eat them mebbe
        you can only cook and eat the american crawfish, watch you don't take our native crawfish, which are protected. But they do taste nice.

Comment

cooking crawfish

like prawn
          Last edited by Huahin; 22-07-2017, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Davey1970 View Post
            you can only cook and eat the american crawfish, watch you don't take our native crawfish, which are protected. But they do taste nice.
            cheers ok, but a only repeat what the chef said and could not be bothered any way lol

Comment

trapping

not allowed
              Last edited by Huahin; 22-07-2017, 02:26 PM.

Comment

not allowed
                wrong.

Comment

an offence to keep any craw fish I'm right

Under the Wildife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended), it is an offence
                  to release, or allow to escape, any non-native species into the wild in the UK
                  except under licence.
                  The Prohibition of Keeping of Live Fish (Crayfish) Order 1996 (as amended),
                  made under the Import of Live Fish (England and Wales) Act 1980, makes it
                  an offence to keep any crayfish in England and Wales, except under licence
                  (with specific exemption areas for signal crayfish).

Comment

So James Martin, Rick Stein and HFW are above the law then...!....

Comment

no trapping update

Originally posted by Davey1970 View Post
                      wrong.
                      Dear xxxxxxx

Tel: +4420 847 46558
                      M. +447717 356784
                      Last edited by Huahin; 12-08-2017, 01:42 PM.

Comment

update tees

Dear xxxxxxxx
                        Last edited by Huahin; 12-08-2017, 01:42 PM.

Comment

so you agree then, the celebrity chef's on tv are above the law.....!......

Comment

Under the Wildife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended), it is an offence
                            to release, or allow to escape, any non-native species into the wild in the UK
                            except under licence.
                            The Prohibition of Keeping of Live Fish (Crayfish) Order 1996 (as amended),
                            made under the Import of Live Fish (England and Wales) Act 1980, makes it
                            an offence to keep any crayfish in England and Wales, except under licence
                            (with specific exemption areas for signal crayfish).
                            There's a difference between "keeping" and "catching" crayfish

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/permissi...-and-sea-trout Here you can apply for a licence to trap them.

And yes I know this thread is old, but information is power
                            Lost another rig

Comment

You cant get a permit for the tees.

Comment

Working...
                              X