No announcement yet.

Set-Up for Whitley Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

might see you there on wed gary, i normally fish next to panama. i'll be holding the rod with a backpack. many people fish the comp like? will i be struggling for space? any idea what time the comp starts and i'll make sure i turn up a bit before

Comment

Originally posted by ozzy37 View Post
      might see you there on wed gary, i normally fish next to panama. i'll be holding the rod with a backpack. many people fish the comp like? will i be struggling for space? any idea what time the comp starts and i'll make sure i turn up a bit before
      There won't be loads mate, maybe a dozen or so - and not everyone will fish Whitley beach - I'll only be there if it's big enough Otherwise might head to Collywell or Tynemouth. Comp is 7.30-11pm.

Gary
      ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
      on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

ahh sounds good, last time i went the swell was tiny, i'm talking bearly breaking on the sandbanks until very low water and i still had 4 fish out so probs just go there as it's my new fav mark good luck wherever you go for

Comment

Originally posted by ozzy37 View Post
          ahh sounds good, last time i went the swell was tiny, i'm talking bearly breaking on the sandbanks until very low water and i still had 4 fish out so probs just go there as it's my new fav mark good luck wherever you go for
          Might see you down there myself, all depends on if I can get hold of some bait for the night
          CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart 1971 View Post
            Might see you down there myself, all depends on if I can get hold of some bait for the night
            look out for me around panama area mate i'm having the same trouble with bait, ive asked around fishermans locker etc but still can't find anyone i can buy lug off. its costing me a small fortune getting enough for a session from tackle shops.

Comment

I like to fish whitley early on in the season if im honest sept - oct then after that fish the likes of blyth. wbay can be finish early on in the season but it always gets a decent run of fish if you get some decent northerlies in sept.

always at least a couple of double took there each year too. great beach to fish and I wouldn't be anywhere else in September when the seas away.
              Species 2012 - Cod, Flounder, Dab, Plaice, Pollock, Eelpout, Common eel, Granny Fish, Whiting, Coalie, LSD, Rockling, Bass.

Comment

iff you fish the boat house ;at north end of whitley beach its 2hrs up and 3 down as a rule ,but can be kelpy ,ive picked up from you that most of beach is low water shots ,is that right ,cheers

Comment

Originally posted by topbanana View Post
                  Whitley Bay - NESA - North East Sea Angling - Sea Fishing UK

Tells you everything you need to know mate.

This is the link I’m tying to view. Saying I don’t have enough privileges or summit. Got me head done in 🤪

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  GET OUT THERE AND STICK A BAIT IN IT !!!

Comment

Originally posted by g-force View Post
                    Forget any light line & small reels - heavy gear all the way. The key to doing well on Whitley is fishing the right mark at the right stage of the tide and this means moving around - no beach buddies & six hour sit downs here!

It's one of the few marks I like to go "leader-less" so 40lb line straight through, as you're fishing generally shallow marks over rocks & weed, so you don't want jammed leader knots & the like. Your line also needs to stand up to a lot of abrasion so I chop off the last few feet of line regularly (as necessary). 2 hook flappers and short-ish chucks are the norm, with crab & lug the best baits. Don't bother with rotten bottoms as you can generally rive your gear out of snags (although some losses can be expected on certain marks) and you'll throw away leads too easily.

Pointless fishing without a good sea running with a northerly generally the best - tides around a metre or so ebb are spot on. The fish can be highly localised so no more than two chucks in the same spot without a bite - and they move with the tide; if you know what you're doing you can follow them along from mark to mark as the tide ebbs & floods. If you like, PM me when you're thinking of visiting & I'll do my best to give you a plan of action for the night & given conditions.

Gary

Gary this type of info is priceless mate.

Top man. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    GET OUT THERE AND STICK A BAIT IN IT !!!

Comment

5 or 6 years on from the original post I dare say a few lads have changed their approach somewhat with many now using f/s & braid outfits....I'm probably split about 50/50 using braid and mono set-ups, but for Whitley beach I still like the mono & multi approach. That said, there are a couple of marks where the f/s braid approach will open up a few more options, so there's no harm in trying a few different things

Gary
                      ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
                      on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

Working...
                      X