No announcement yet.

killing fish to keep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And now for a poem. Ted Hughes explaining why anglers shouldn't beat themselves up too much for catching/hurting fish:

Relic

I found this jawbone at the sea's edge:
    There, crabs, dogfish, broken by the breakers or tossed
    To flap for half an hour and turn to a crust
    Continue the beginning. The deeps are cold:
    In that darkness camaraderie does not hold.

Nothing touches but, clutching, devours. And the jaws,
    Before they are satisfied or their stretched purpose
    Slacken, go down jaws; go gnawn bare. Jaws
    Eat and are finished and the jawbone comes to the beach:
    This is the sea's achievement; with shells,
    Verterbrae, claws, carapaces, skulls.

Time in the sea eats its tail, thrives, casts these
    Indigestibles, the spars of purposes
    That failed far from the surface. None grow rich
    In the sea. This curved jawbone did not laugh
    But gripped, gripped and is now a cenotaph.
    PBs...Cod 8lb2oz.. Turbot 3lb2oz.. Whiting 1lb8oz.. Coalie 1lb9oz.. Flounder 1lb7oz.. Dab 15oz.. Plaice 13oz.. Bass 1lb 6oz

Comment

Originally posted by beachbuddy View Post
      You and nee brains should have a pow wow up st Mary's with the other buffoon's
      That spout -hite
      what a knacker beachbuddy obvoiusly is
      Last edited by neefish; 29-10-2015, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by james89 View Post
        Eh? What's going on here?
        Hi James... I had the temerity to say keepers should be knocked asap before unhooking.. stirred up a hornets nest.... beachbuddy gannin mad.. he wants fish unhooked alive it would seem... I dont get his reason. if reason can be a word that can be used alongside his name ,bizzar character

Comment

I think when we catch a fish we have a duty to treat it with respect. Quick visit from the priest if it is to be kept for the pan, careful unhooking and return if not. I have held a salmon in the stream for several minutes while they get their breath back. Just seems the right thing to do to me like.

Comment

Originally posted by neefish View Post
            what a knacker
            Iam afraid your opening post about how you deal with your fish is your choice,looking on youtube and commenting on people in Norway handling fish obviously hits a nerve with yourself.
            If you look at my comments to your thread I've not once said I don't knock the fish on the head,so who's the knacker now.
            It's people like you that start stupid common sense threads and get replys like mine.by the way I don't catch owt so the disposal of fish doesn't apply to me.

Comment

beachbuddy

heartening to know catch nowt too beachbuddy ..it happens... but you ve still not posted a reason you find knocking keepers such a stupid thing to do ...Ive tried but can't fathom any reason not to ....I really would be interested to know.....

Comment

Kill yer fish? Why man yer just gerra hold of the fish, put you thumb behind its heed and bend its heed reet back. Thats worradee wirrall my patients. ;O)

Comment

to the doctor

as long as its fast and effective doc...no need to perform surgery (deep hook removal) on a live ceature .. can't think why anyone would want to

Comment

Think you need to take up some think else to do with your time if the fact of killing fish clearly affects you take up some thing less barbaric happy days

Comment

I'm sure that everyone who calls themselves an angler will treat their catch with respect and dispatch their catch quickly and humanely. No angler likes to see fish mistreated as has been proven many times in the past with peoples outspoken views on people leaving mackerel flapping about on the pier and people keeping undersized fish. I actually can't believe there has been so many posts against what neefish was saying in the original post, which was basically if a fish is deep hooked and your going to keep it, dispatch it humanely first before trying to unhook it.
                      Happy to help, Keen to learn!

Fishing marks Seaham - Lynemouth
                      http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...!467&encType=1

Fishing Marks Lynemouth - North
                      http://www.bing.com/maps/Default.asp...!739&encType=1

Popular lure Marks

Comment

Here here!
                        If they aint there you cant catch em

Comment

Exactly what Phill itofish says, this forum has a lot of negative 'top rods' though.
                          Regards Nicky.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivabigone View Post
                            Think you need to take up some think else to do with your time if the fact of killing fish clearly affects you take up some thing less barbaric happy days
                            i still cant get an answer as to why its stupid to dispatch keepers quickly

Comment

thanx

cheers for support chaps..good guys in the majority..Like Phil , I too am surprised anyone can object to my post...makes you wonder what the antis have upstairs..they obviously dont think very much if at all and could care even less about fish or anything else.... A ''couldn't give a toss'' attitude could give us a clue as to who the anglers??? are who leave the rubbish and loose line lying around at their backsides. .

Comment

The fastest and best way to kill a fish. This will work on any fish. All you need to do is stick a knife or spike into the fish's brain. And it will be in...
                                PBs...Cod 8lb2oz.. Turbot 3lb2oz.. Whiting 1lb8oz.. Coalie 1lb9oz.. Flounder 1lb7oz.. Dab 15oz.. Plaice 13oz.. Bass 1lb 6oz

Comment

Working...
                                X