Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A sad story :( Could do with some suggestions also.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A sad story :( Could do with some suggestions also.

Well not exactly heart breaking but I am a little bit annoyed.

I picked up a cheap rod and reel combo last Thursday for a bit of mackerel fishing, its the exact same rod and reel combo my friend has used and pulled in 4 reasonably sized mackerel at once, so it seamed like a pretty good little buy.

Its the £30 Overload Spin 9' rod and reed combo from ID Fishing.

I take it to the pier for a bit of fishing and the rod snapped when casting.

I called up ID and the guy says the 3oz weight I was using was too heavy even though my friend with the exact same rod and reel has been using it comfortably for a while now with 3oz and 4oz weights, on top of that I have seen him almost double the rod over when hauling in mackerel with no problems or even the hint that it was ready to snap..

I did not expect the rod and reel to be anything special but I just find it laughable that the guy at ID says 3oz is way too much (its not exactly the thinnest rod out there either).

I cant find my receipt (only got it on Thursday) and I get the impression on the phone that I wont get too far with a refund anyway because I used a huge 3oz weight and my obviously super human casting strength to destroy the rod. lol

ID have said to bring it in so they can take a look at it but as I don't have the receipt any more and have admitted to using what they claim is a way too heavy weight I don't think I will bother and put this down to experience.

Not sure if I should advise people to stay clear of this combo deal or not as my friends is fine (with the exception of the tip eye being a bit dodgy but easily fixed) but I felt I should share my experiences anyway.

I am going to pick up another rod this week and was wondering if anyone can suggest a half decent 9ft rod that would be fine for spinning, feathers/daylights and possibly light bait fishing.

Rod and north east retailer suggestions are welcomed.

Around £30 should be ok for a rod on its own right ?

Many thanks for reading.

sorry to hear about the rod mate. but take it back. even if you do not have the reciept, if you payed with a card then you can use your statement as proof of purchase. if you payed with cash then they may still replace. the tackle shops target these outfits at mackeral anglers at this time of year so they should be fit for purpose. they are however cheaply made and cost the shop pennies to buy in bulk so replacing the rod will not cost them much anyways. goodluck.

Comment

Paid cash

What I intended to do was get my money back and put some extra money in to buy a better rod, was going to call in today but they are only open until 2pm so I might just wait until tomorrow but I doubt I am going to get anywhere and that is very disappointing.

Its also disappointing that I am told 3oz is way too heavy for the rod, its pretty much an insult to my intelligence saying that, had a long break from fishing but must have clocked up a good 10 years fishing experience and I would like to think I know just from the feel of the rod in my hand before a cast if the weight is too heavy, also worse as my friend standing no more than a meter away from me with the exact same rod and weight and was fine.

Am I the only one who considers a 3oz weight really small ?

I mean how on earth can you have a rod that will break under 3oz weight ?

So with that in mind then the rod would only be fine for catching fish at or under 3oz ? lol

I wonder how my friend managed 4 mackerel in one go then

Comment

3oz is a small weight, but what is the casting weight displayed on the rod?? If it's less than 3oz then the tackle shop doesn't have to replace it as you used an unsuitable weight for casting. Harsh I know, but thats what the casting guide is there for.

Talk to them and do as you said - try and get a refund and put the difference towards a better rod.

You're not the only one to snap a cheap spinning rod or 3
        To get away from dragons and catch monsters.

Pig Hunter

Comment

The rod does not state anywhere on it what weight range it takes, first time I ever seen a rod not display this information.

Anyone who seen this rod I am 100% sure would agree 3oz is perfectly acceptable, its not like I was even thumping it either

If anyone is calling into ID have a look at the Overload (ironic name huh ? lol) Spin, 3oz too big my ass.

Comment

think i had an overload spin around 2 yrs ago ...the eyes/rings kept falling apart and the anti reverse gave wuickly enough ...i did however pay only 15 for the combo at the car boot ... i have yt to try my new set out but i have reinforced my rings ( something my uncle taught my dad who then taught me how to do it ) i cant advise u about local tackle shops i live far far awaybut i thinku should be able to get some sort of summit from the shop....just say summit like fit for the purpose bla bla bla ...
            Punch and pull then let rip

NESA Lure Fishing Challenge 2011 Winner

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
            Kompressor SS /slosh30
            tt sport /525 mag

Comment

I can see this from the tackle shops view point, they don't know what I have been doing and I bet they get allot of people who have been misusing things trying to pull one over on them, this is certainly not one of those times, spent over 200 quid in the shop in about a week and I realise I am not exactly a huge spender but I am not even nearly finished with my tackle purchases.

Hopefully they can be accommodating and at least offer me discount on a new rod, wish to bloody god I could find my receipt too but even so knowing I did not misuse the rod one bit I should be getting a full refund but lack of receipt could probably stop that in its tracks.

I wont mention compensation for the embarrassment on a packed pier either hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Ddave73 View Post
                The rod does not state anywhere on it what weight range it takes, first time I ever seen a rod not display this information.

Anyone who seen this rod I am 100% sure would agree 3oz is perfectly acceptable, its not like I was even thumping it either

If anyone is calling into ID have a look at the Overload (ironic name huh ? lol) Spin, 3oz too big my ass.
                Ironic indeed

Let us know how you get on.
                To get away from dragons and catch monsters.

Pig Hunter

Comment

I certainly will, hopefully I will sort something out, if not I will take my business elsewhere and go off in a childish huff for a few years

Comment

Go back to the tackle shop, talk to them and give them a chance to see what they come up with. I've bought stuff from ID tackle before, and I did have to take a floatation suit back once, because it wasn't as waterproof as it was stated. I didn't ask for my money back, but asked for a 'swop' for a different make. They did this without a problem, so you never know until you talk to them.
                    Hopefuly they will respect your honesty (you could hve lied and said the rod snapped for no apparent reason), and with any luck they might swop the broken rod for a different one.
                    Let us all know how you get on and good luck mate.

Comment

Shame mate ,
                      Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago with a QUARTER oz weight and no snag and the tip section more or less exploded into 3 pieces I didn't have a receipt but I e-mailed customer services at Glasgow angling centre (fishingmegastore) and they put me in touch with the guy who sold me it who after a few emails he told me there is a replacement tip section put behind the counter at the customer service desk and to pick it up when I got the time so went up the next day and gave them the 3pieces in return for a new section

Give it a try mate and fingers crossed you get at very least a replacement

Comment

Yeah I will do that in the morning, will take some cash with me as hopefully they will let me put some more money in the kitty and take away a better rod, its a great shop I have found since I got back into fishing, my dad used it all the time when he was on Chillingham road and I would hate for something like this to sour my experiences.

Technically I don't think they have to do anything as I have lost my receipt but they can almost guarantee a customer for life if they can sort something out.

2 lessons to take away, be very cautious with cheap gear and keep your receipts in a fire proof safe at fort knox hehe

edit: Rossco99

Is it the same rod too ? quarter ounce ? god damn I cast heavier baits with my beachcaster hehe
                        Last edited by Ddave73; 30-05-2011, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Mine was/is a savage gear pro spin mate

I usually don't even use that much weight but there was a head wind lol just for flicking out a rag into the rocks I have beat the scottish record for wrasse 3 times so far using this method but I wouldn't kill them just to get my name on a sheet of paper

Comment

Hard lines mate. If you only got the rod last week I don 't think they'll quib about you not having a receipt, they have got a good reputation.
                            Also if the rating wasn't stamped on the rod then I can't see how they can maintain that 3oz was to much for it.
                            For any rod to snap lobbing a 3 oz weight out sounds to me to be deffective.
                            Good luck.

Comment

good luck mate hope you get sorted.

Comment

Working...
                              X