abit of advice if you never been to dunstonbrough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phil185 View Post
    I have to disagree on the trainer front- ive done quite alot of climbing and even worked at a climbing wall and ive never see anyone wearing boots! For me a light thin pair of trainers with the softest sole are the best, its all about having a feel for the grip you have. Just like tyres on a car- less tread = more surface contact = more grip.

In the wet no matter what you wear you will be sliding about.
    Phil, i have to say something here, you go over in a pair of trainers on the rocks you have a 99% chance of snapping your ankle compared to wearing a decent pair of boots. I started back sea fishing about 7 year ago after a long break and found my favourite environment were the rocks. i soon learned that a pair of trainers were not the right footwear being they were far to soft and not waterproof.
    I also think there is quite a bit of a difference between rock climbing, climbing walls and rock hopping. If i were walking up Skidaw i would wear sturdy climbing boots but climbing a climbing wall you need all the feel you can get like you said so yes you would wear rock climbing footwear. Just saying by the way

Comment

Dunstanburgh

Can't understand why you didn't have a set of waterproofs with you?
      Fished at the Castle quite abit in the past always wore boots summer and winter and always had waterproofs no matter what the season or forcast.
      If the lower rocks were un-fishable why not fish from the higher cliff tops, thats where I did most of my fishing from.
      Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

Comment

Originally posted by marksworld View Post
        Phil, i have to say something here, you go over in a pair of trainers on the rocks you have a 99% chance of snapping your ankle compared to wearing a decent pair of boots. I started back sea fishing about 7 year ago after a long break and found my favourite environment were the rocks. i soon learned that a pair of trainers were not the right footwear being they were far to soft and not waterproof.
        I also think there is quite a bit of a difference between rock climbing, climbing walls and rock hopping. If i were walking up Skidaw i would wear sturdy climbing boots but climbing a climbing wall you need all the feel you can get like you said so yes you would wear rock climbing footwear. Just saying by the way

I completely agree about the issue of if you go over there is a greater chance of hurting your ankle compared to 'some' boots however alot of boots that protect your ankle have the problem of moving the pressure up to your knee. With regards to being waterproof this isnt something i take into account because i would rather just keep clear of the rocks in the wet full stop. I too prefer to fish rock marks (take a look at my last post in the catch reports section) and i have tried lots of different types of footwear from my pro-boots and magnums (both popular in the armed forces) to trainers/running shoes/driving shoes and from this have worked out what i prefer.

Im not telling people they are right or wrong as alot of it is down to personal preference and what you feel comfortable in and i like to have the confidence of being able to feel what is going on under my feet.

Comment

Originally posted by big sid View Post
          Can't understand why you didn't have a set of waterproofs with you?
          Fished at the Castle quite abit in the past always wore boots summer and winter and always had waterproofs no matter what the season or forcast.
          If the lower rocks were un-fishable why not fish from the higher cliff tops, thats where I did most of my fishing from.
          Thats quite simple, I don't like places where one mistake would lead to an almost certain death. the lower rocks you have a chance should you fall.
          the weather forecast did not say persistant heavy rain either so knowing how far it is to walk i took a chance and carried as little gear as i needed.

all academic now as i now know what to take next time, having never fished there and not being a "rock" fisherman i did not know what to expect. now i do and should i go back i'll be better prepared. cheers for the advice lads.

Comment

Originally posted by phil185 View Post
            Im not telling people they are right or wrong as alot of it is down to personal preference and what you feel comfortable in and i like to have the confidence of being able to feel what is going on under my feet.
            That is fair enough, we wear what we feel most comfortable and confident in

Comment

Originally posted by steak and kidney pie View Post
              having never fished the castle me and my fishing bud went this morning, half way along the walk it lashed down. undetered we kept going till we reached the mark. very fishy looking spot i have to say but we never got to try. those black rocks were lethal when wet and my mate almost ended up in the drink after slipping trying to get to the ledge. It was a good 30 foot drop with no easy way back up and a canny swim to shore, Anyway my nerves were shot then and we decided to leave. after walking all that way we were gutted but just couldnt risk it.
              i'll go back but only when bone dry!

didnt fish elsewhere was soaked through and p1ssed off!

I know lots of guys have nerves of steel on these type of marks but if your like me and a bit sensible don,t go when its wet.
              The rocks are like that all the way along from Cullernose point to Dunstanburgh....I demanded that the local Coastguard teams were issued with new boots, after the first time I did a search along there, as I tell you that even in boots, we slipped and slided like Torvill and Dean....The whinstone, even when slightly wet is lethal.
              "And I looked, and behold'a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with hi, and power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword and with hunger, and with the beasts of the earth"

Comment

Its the same at Eyemouth & St Abbs, if rain is forecast i dont go.

Comment

Working...
                X