Alleged Sun fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alleged Sun fish

Took my boy Ben (12 yrs) fishing a Seaham Pier at 5pm for a spot of Mackerel fishing.We had been there about an hour and bagged half a dozen.We where fishing about 40 mtrs from the end of the pier.I decided to move up a bit so I was about 30 mtrs away.Id only been in my spot 10 minutes when looked like he was struggling with a full house (6 mackies).Two blokes on his left dropped their rods and ran towards Ben,both making a grab for the line.I just thought they where hoisting a full house up the pier wall.But then it looked like they snapped off.A third lad joined them and their was a big conversation and Ben getting a tap on the back.When I walked up all 3 lads said he had pulled up a Sun fish that must of been between 20/30lb (Took 2 blokes to break the surface at the wall).Now I didn't see what it was but all 3 seems certain it was a Sun fish.We are quite happy knowing that what ever it was it was big.My sons gone to bed one tired happy lad,but I only wish he had managed to land it as a photo of what ever it was would of been great.Well done Ben and a massive thank you to the two fellas who attempted to pull it up the wall.
    Last edited by davyo; 08-07-2017, 10:16 PM.

wow
    To whoever stole my anti-depressants
    I hope you're happy now

Comment

Class , good going Ben lad , love to hear young lads fishing my two boys 14 and 7 ain't interested. Well done .

Comment

You never know whats out there...

Assuming it was a shop bought rig, the bodies are usually about 60lb arnt they? Must have been a good fish to break that from the main line body...again, assuming the main body was circa 30lbs
        Best shore catch 2016 - 7.5lb cod, Seaton Carew!
        CS RNLI representative – www.rnli.org

Comment

sent you PM
          Alan

Comment

well done young ben, a wish you could have landed the fish, but as the lad's have said the water's are getting warmer, so lot's of new specie's knocking about.

Comment

Originally posted by LiamNE View Post
              You never know whats out there...

Assuming it was a shop bought rig, the bodies are usually about 60lb arnt they? Must have been a good fish to break that from the main line body...again, assuming the main body was circa 30lbs
              Might just of had a nick in his hook snood or something though Liam... I've had a few smaller fish drop off that way when the line parts.

Pity he didn't get the fish in. Would have been a great write up and would love to have seen it. Anyone up for a bit of sunfish bashing next summer?
              "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
              PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

. Would have been a great write up and would love to have seen it.

especially as I haven't got one recorded from the shore a few in the boats
                Alan

Comment

It wasn't hooked legit,it was was foul hooked through the fin on top.mate of mine was there at the time

Comment

Originally posted by flipper View Post
                    It wasn't hooked legit,it was was foul hooked through the fin on top.mate of mine was there at the time
                    I'd imagine that would be the only way to catch one...no expert mind.

I cant remember hearing about a shore caught sunfish along our coast, but as said before I'm sure with the warmer waters we will see them in the near future along with other new species
                    Best shore catch 2016 - 7.5lb cod, Seaton Carew!
                    CS RNLI representative – www.rnli.org

Comment

Originally posted by Charlton View Post
                      sent you PM
                      Sent PM back but unsure if it went

Comment

We had one in the boat a few years ago !
                        didn't catch it on a line tho
                        we just put the landing net over the side and scooped him up ! was only a baby about 15lb as the beasts can grow into tons in weight
                        i also think they only feed on jellyfish so foul hooking is the normal way of capture
                        Unless you can tie jellyfish on with lacky thread lol

bert
                        Cheers Bert

Comment

Originally posted by davyo View Post
                          Sent PM back but unsure if it went
                          got them
                          Alan

Comment

Working...
                          X