Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• salted rag and lugworm in the 1970s

Hello

anyone remember those sealed plastic packets of dried salted lug or rag you could buy in the 70s ... as a kid its all I could afford ... and it was rubbish. Did anyone ever catch anything on it? I used to get mine from the cafe at the top of the bank above Roker pier ... next to the VLB building.

It matched the rest of my gear. A woolworths rod and reel, some sparkplugs, a couple of rusty hooks and a single prized salmon fishing type spinner.

Cheers

Mike

had that and plenty coalie even whiting on salted worms. i always have salted worms on every sesh
    Punch and pull then let rip

NESA Lure Fishing Challenge 2011 Winner

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
    Kompressor SS /slosh30
    tt sport /525 mag

Comment

Hello

I'm talking specifically about the stuff that came in the sealed packets back then. It was the thickness of a shoestring ... as opposed to salted worm bait in general.

LOL ... if it works then I guess it must jave been the sparkplugs!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by mick666 View Post
        Hello

anyone remember those sealed plastic packets of dried salted lug or rag you could buy in the 70s ... as a kid its all I could afford ... and it was rubbish. Did anyone ever catch anything on it? I used to get mine from the cafe at the top of the bank above Roker pier ... next to the VLB building.

It matched the rest of my gear. A woolworths rod and reel, some sparkplugs, a couple of rusty hooks and a single prized salmon fishing type spinner.

Cheers

Mike
        That would be that Brent -hite they used to sell the rag was a pinky red and the lug was all salt I don't think anyone caught owt on it

Comment

we had to dig all our own bait, we certainly couldnt afford to buy it

i must of had many hundreds of mackerel on those 6d spinners.

we used to look along the edges of the piers for any thrown away hooks.

when i go down the steps on a pier now the stink of stale pee reminds me of the many days and weeks i sat there catching penneck [small coalies] down the side.

we used to go along the sides of the docks in hartlepool catching crabs ... with a shiny nut

just tie it on a piece of line and jiggle it in front of a crab that was on the wall. after a while the crab would grab it and not let go.

Comment

am sure you can still buy it in the tourist shops in weymouth , find it hung up next to the crab lines and nets , looking like the Big d nut cards you could find in pubs

Comment

Originally posted by mick666 View Post
              Hello

Cheers

Mike
              Hi mate I tried the same rubber worms from the same shop and never caught a thing on them not even crabs.
              The rag was a red/pink colour and the lug black/purple.
              P.s did your rod have a picture of a fish on it . If it did I had one lol.
              I'm sure they were called windfield about 6ft long and a metal spigot.
              Ahh the good old days.

Comment

Originally posted by codfather145 View Post
                Hi mate I tried the same rubber worms from the same shop and never caught a thing on them not even crabs.
                The rag was a red/pink colour and the lug black/purple.
                P.s did your rod have a picture of a fish on it . If it did I had one lol.
                I'm sure they were called windfield about 6ft long and a metal spigot.
                Ahh the good old days.
                yeah woolworths rod for beginners good little rod for the piers. davy.
                PB
                COD 21-15-0 Tynemouth pier R/M match
                COD 20-4-0 Sharpness, Tynemouth open
                Ballan Wrasse 5-6-0 Seahouses summer league
                Pollock 11-5-8 ST Abbs Spinning sandeel
                Dogfish 2-15-14 Tynemouth pier match R/M
                Coaly 3-5-8 Tynemouth pier match r/m
                Cod =, Coaly, Whiten, Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Gurnard, Weaver, Rockling, Pouting, Wrasse, Mackerel, Sea scorpion, all of tynemouth pier

Comment

I'm sure a hardware shop up whitley road called storys used to sell those salted worms,i used to buy them there,along with parafin for me dads blow torch to make weights,imagine nowadays giving a 9 or 10 year old parafin in a barrs lemonade bottle,all the health & safety nowadays,but we're still here

Comment

Originally posted by liquidlen View Post
                    I'm sure a hardware shop up whitley road called storys used to sell those salted worms,i used to buy them there,along with parafin for me dads blow torch to make weights,imagine nowadays giving a 9 or 10 year old parafin in a barrs lemonade bottle,all the health & safety nowadays,but we're still here
                    they did sell odd bits of fishing gear there.i used to get them worms and odd bits if tackle there.on the salted worms ive started salting fresh blacks as well as freezing them and they are taking fish .had flatties and coalys plus yesterday on st marys had a few small kelpys.they stay on hook great and ill be using them with frozen baits in the winter

Comment

along with parafin for me dads blow torch to make weights,imagine nowadays giving a 9 or 10 year old parafin in a barrs lemonade bottle,all the health & safety nowadays,but we're still here[/QUOTE]

I tried to buy some paraffin from boots on a sunday once to smoke some trout in my smoker,It was a no no,apparently you cant buy paraffin on a sunday but you can buy c*** books what a strange country we live in.bb

Comment

Does any one remember the vending machine on the wall at Temple's tackle shop on Oxford Street Whitley Bay in the 70's. I used to get that preserved rag and salted lug from there on a Sunday afternoon, some times there was even fresh lug/ragworm too. Then down to the rock bather to fish in the gully next to the chair, or off the paddling pool prom for sprats, remember them.

Comment

remember it well the old vending machine its still there on the wall, or it was the last time I was down there before the shop closed, used to be the best tackle shops .used to open at 6am sat/sun always lads waiting for it to open.
                          consett warlord retired

Comment

I remember the machine, my father used to buy them to add to mussel if he couldnt get fresh then head off to the boat station or to Crawleys. As I was in my early teens then I was awestruck over Temples having only been to Bagnall and Kirkwoods before.

Comment

Still got my Abu 444A Svangsta I bought at Temples in 65/66 still in good nick think it was about £6 at lot of money in those days

Comment

Working...
                              X