Shields Piers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shields Piers

Hi all...Think these Auld Photos might be of some interest to some folks.Obviously the one named South Pier 1907 is the North Pier.It was Destroyed by a massive storm in that year..A few years later it was Re-Built "Straight" as it appears today.It can be seen with its long curve in the South Pier 1904 pic later to become its weakness..Also Pictured is the Steam Pleasure Boat moored alongside the floating platform of the South Pier.Being of interest to myself as my ancestors used to own their own steam boat business from the mid 1800's-1911..One of which was the Stag which was one of the first ever Steam Trawlers to work from the Tyne.
    Attached Files

I love looking at them old photos. I was looking at some the other day that showed the old sea plane sheds and ramp where Littlehaven Beach is now. Apparently the ramp is still there and can be seen at the ebb of bigger tides although I've never seen it.
    People who live in glass houses have to answer the door.

Comment

class

very nice pictures them ian, can remember having to climb on that crane a couple of times when swells were coming over from inside the harbour. YOUR AND DAFT,did us no harm,and we used to catch good fish them days. tight lines.

Comment

sorry YOUGH AND DAFT.

Comment

I used to sit with my very late grandad,telling me about the times he fished the pier catching his families supper,he was 74 when he died in the late seventies,handline fishing and he loved it.he was a old steel erector and settled in Teesside,bb

Comment

The north pier was actually rebuilt with double the original size foundations.

Comment

Working...
            X