No announcement yet.

The good old days...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing to read that. My Dad must've been a s***e angler - he started taking me out in 1986 and we caught nowt
    PBs...Cod 8lb2oz.. Turbot 3lb2oz.. Whiting 1lb8oz.. Coalie 1lb9oz.. Flounder 1lb7oz.. Dab 15oz.. Plaice 13oz.. Bass 1lb 6oz

Comment

Here's an old clipping from Angling Times 1982 when muggins had the best fish of the day - must have a rummage around to see what else I can find.

PS tried to link this with Photobucket but kept getting hit with "invalid file" - guess I've a way to go to figure how to get piccies on here properly!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by g-force; 12-01-2009, 09:28 PM.
      ....fishin' accomplished......

Whitley Bay Angling Society
      on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/whitleybayanglingsoc/

Comment

Originally posted by g-force View Post
        Here's an old clipping from Angling Times 1982 when muggins had the best fish of the day - must have a rummage around to see what else I can find.

PS tried to link this with Photobucket but kept getting hit with "invalid file" - guess I've a way to go to figure how to get piccies on here properly!
        Great stuff.

Didn't sea angler run a feature about the wrecking at Eyemouth with Jim Dobie, Alec Harvey and Chris Stringer?
        Davy

Comment

Originally posted by Davyred View Post
          Great stuff.

Didn't sea angler run a feature about the wrecking at Eyemouth with Jim Dobie, Alec Harvey and Chris Stringer?
          I must have missed that one - I do remember doing some piccies for a Sea Angler article Chris did on fishing the Tyne (around the Ice House) sometime 82/83, but I've long since lost the copy I had. Unfortunately we didn't catch much that day!

Comment

It would be great if we could get a "classic catches" page started up for old clippings like this. Fascinating reading.

Great hair by the way Gary
            Tides & Sea State For North Shields
            http://www.mumm.ac.be/EN/Models/Oper...n=northshields

Comment

Originally posted by johnf View Post
              It would be great if we could get a "classic catches" page started up for old clippings like this. Fascinating reading.

Great hair by the way Gary
              I think that after a day at sea the best description was, as Billy Connoly used to say, "windswept & interesting"

I'd definitely second the proposal for a "Classics" section.

Comment

Originally posted by tonynufc View Post
                thats more codling than ive had in the last year
                thats more fish than i've had in me poxy 25 years! (of life, not fishing)

this includes eating and pets!!!!!
                Last edited by t0mb0la; 12-01-2009, 10:55 PM. Reason: more to add
                gettin a rod for wor lass, should be a good swap!

Comment

It would be very easy to make a new sub forum in the shore fishing section for threads like this if there is going to be enough interest. These threads only seem to come up now and again unfortunately but it would be canny to have them all in one place. If you think it will get used I can make a place for them, what are your views, would it be worth it?

Jim.
                  Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

Well its more of a challenge now isnt it?! Who would want catch fish that easy!
                    The 'five plums!' Northumberland sea league champions.

Comment

Just thought, this thread should have been called 'The Cod Old Days'!
                      The 'five plums!' Northumberland sea league champions.

Comment

Originally posted by willywetegg View Post
                        It would be very easy to make a new sub forum in the shore fishing section for threads like this if there is going to be enough interest. These threads only seem to come up now and again unfortunately but it would be canny to have them all in one place. If you think it will get used I can make a place for them, what are your views, would it be worth it?

Jim.
                        I've got a fair bit of stuff here Jim. If the lads are interested, I'll post it on here...
                        Last edited by Davyred; 13-01-2009, 08:42 AM.
                        Davy

Comment

wow.... thats a lot of dead fish ....
                          no wonder there's non left for us to catch
                          It's a thin line that seperates an Angler from a madman standing on the beach in january at midnight in -5 degrees with a northerly wind blowing in your face

Comment

Originally posted by Davyred View Post
                            I've got a fair bit of stuff here Jim. If the lads are interested, I'll post it on here...
                            I'd be interested to see more
                            Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                            I AGREE

Comment

fu3k me

youll never in a million years see that sort of fishing ever again like

Comment

That particular Winter season was a freak, I remember it well. Don't get the idea that it was like that all the time it wasn't, you could catch good bags of fish but not in those numbers.
                                I had 6 or more sessions that season where I had over 20 cod per session including my best ever of 47 from the Blast Beach, even then I practised conservation and only took 6 fish home from that remarkable night. Apart from that I couldn't have carried the buggers if I'd wanted to.
                                As I said earlier it was a freak Winter but the 70's were better still for pure consistency.

Comment

Working...
                                X