rod advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rod advice

got a ron Thompson axellerator and a century compressor gp but cant seem to get away with them they seem to be heavy or is it just me.
    any advice on rods lads tend to use a 5oz lead most of the time
    consett warlord retired

I don't know what kind of ground you fish mate but if it's not heavy ground the Tip tornado ld range are excellent for casting 5oz leads. Slim butt so you can get your thumb right over the spool on the reel, my rods of choice for beaches and lighter pier fishing.
    People who live in glass houses have to answer the door.

Comment

yes mark the ttld lovely rod
      also have a look at reelsports mighty thin cracking rod
      invictus maneo

Comment

Those are both stiff rods as well as being heavy. Do you use them with fixed spool or multiplier reels? Where do you do most of your fishing?

Perhaps a casting lesson or two might help and they are a damn sight cheaper than shelling out for a new rod. If you can get down to Durham I'm happy to get you started for the price of a pint, I can bring my TTLD along as well if you want to have a play.
        CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

casting advice

thanks for the advice lads appreciated I use a slosh 20 and a slosh 30 the lad I go fishing with is an excellent caster both with a sea rod and a fly rod we have been fishing together for a very long time.
          I sold all of my sea gear a few years back and just did fly fishing, but now that I am retired I got some good used gear to get me out again.
          tend to fish the pier at sunderland when it is open or shields pier my casting ability is still poor to fish of the beach , my mate has given me advice on casting and used both of my rods to prove a point its not the rods its down to me. so we are out again next Thursday and it will be practice casting for me.
          consett warlord retired

Comment

practice casting for me to mate good luck getting the hang of them
            Species CAUGHT : Codling,Mackerel, Coalie,Dab,,smooth hound,spotted hound, Sea Scorpion, Rockling , Whiting

Comment

rods

The rods you use are very stiff rods and learning the basics of casting will certainly help you use the rods more effectivaly and they wont feel so stiff and heavy alternatively you could try a rod such as the tip tornadoe ld supermatch which youl find easy to cast and very light and am sure your distances will improve

Comment

I have a similar issue with the Kompressor SS.
                Heavy rod, hard to load for a cast. Plus being almost 70 with limited upper body strength it's not going to improve significantly with casting lessons.

I have an option on a Kompressor Sport at present. I'm told they are more flexible and easier to load and handle.

Maybe, maybe not, since I have no experience of them.
                Any ideas on this.

I'd love an Excalibur so if anyone knows of a swap potential let me know.

I've also just got a Sonik SK3 which has yet to see action but I think it'll be more in line with my limited body strength. Pity about the bloody useless rings though.
                Told the missus I was going on a diet. I'd only eat what I caught

Comment

I have had the same problem. I have ongoing back problems and have went through more rods than I would care to mention. All the century rough stuff rods have all proved too stiff to load.for me ive settled on a sk3 xtr 14ft for the rough stuff and leeda msport match for the rest. ... if I knew then what I know now I would of kept my ttsmld and my ttldul and just bought a 3cld.....ha I had 2 of them aswell lol

Comment

Originally posted by gregsgt View Post
                    practice casting for me to mate good luck getting the hang of them
                    Bang on 4 me greg,the rods mentioned above r pretty powerfull tools,n a decent casting style is required to bend/flex them.A stiff powerfull rod that u can not bend is pointless n will make it hard for the user to cast.The lighter rods mentioned,ttld or ttm etc r far more user friendly.
                    Good luck with it all lads n have fun

Comment

Yeah agree with the Ron Thompson Axe being a stiff rod too, Im 15.5 stone and 5-11 and I could hardly load the damn thing at all! I had a tippy sport which was still stiff enough for rough ground and great for casting. But trying a m4 evo now which seems more similar to the tippy.
                      ZZiplex m427, Hulk model
                      Okuma trio Rex
                      Aerlex 7000xsa
                      Penn spinfisher 7500 lc

Comment

Originally posted by lead chucker View Post
                        Yeah agree with the Ron Thompson Axe being a stiff rod too, Im 15.5 stone and 5-11 and I could hardly load the damn thing at all! I had a tippy sport which was still stiff enough for rough ground and great for casting. But trying a m4 evo now which seems more similar to the tippy.
                        Cracking rod,will chuck a lead too,n plenty of grunt if needed

Comment

Rod advice

If you are looking for rod that is not to soft or stiff then I would strongly strongly advise one of Terry woods fishing rods from Reelsport. I have one of Terry woods rods the VFM which I use for piers and river work(it would grand on light ground as well) not only did it get a fab review from the sea angler magazine it's been rated by a lot of top local anglers. I am in a powered wheelchair I have 3 forms of arthritis which affects my spine and a bulging disc.
                          So I needed a rod that would do a lot of the work for me in casting and this rod does that in spades I can get 80 to 110 yard cast without feeling the pinch and the electric shock which is great considering I am in a chair. It has great bite detection and has enough back bone to pull through mixed ground snags and kelp.

Comment

I now have a zipplex sst and one of the new leader M sport power rods with a penn fathom 15 ,now just need to improve on my casting technigue
                            got some advice on how to adjust the brakes on my fathom of nesa members and its done the job thanks for the advice lads most appreciated.
                            consett warlord retired

Comment

Casting is not all about brute strength it's about using what you have efficiently.

Most people are just bending the tip and not even exploiting the power lower down.

Casting lessons are definitely the way to go. You need to learn to use all of the body not just upper body. You can use legs, core, shoulders, arms, head position and body weight transfer to add distance. Not to mention sinker postion, balancing the rod, reel etc.

I was in the tackle shop the other day and had a chuckle when I saw a TXL EVO in the corner. It makes me laugh when you hear of people wanting a TTR or excalibur with 20% extra. For what pole vaulting off rock marks?

Comment

Working...
                              X