with or without shockleader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• with or without shockleader

could i fish with out shock leader if so what pound line would you say i i only cast about 60 to 70 yards in the river so no power casting any advice would be welcome

is there a reason u would not want to fish with a leader? apart rom casting having a leader helps bring up the biggie should u hook one.. u can use 25lb without shockleader on a lighter 3-4 oz lead however i would personally keep a shockleader one tho...its good practice and responsible angling... i have used 35lb line wihout shockleader in my beginner days ...did have a few occasion where the line snapped...i know tend to use shockleader to prevent this from happening
    Punch and pull then let rip

NESA Lure Fishing Challenge 2011 Winner

UK species : Cod, Whiting, Poor Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Coalie, Pollack, Rockling, Bass, Plaice, Flounder, Dab, Grannylasher, Pouting, Launce, Weaver, Sandeel, Ballan wrasse. eelpout

Global species: jewfish/big eye croaker,catfish(Sagor/African/Silver), whip ray, snapper, grouper, pufferfish,threadfin, trevally,stingray, mangrove shark, flowerhorn,

2014 combo:
    Kompressor SS /slosh30
    tt sport /525 mag

Comment

Ive once seen some donut ground casting with 20lb line no shockleader and 6oz wieght on blyth beach last year :O.

Fishing in the river you will want to use quite light lines to combat tide pull and to gain more distance, for places where you dont need more than a 40yard lob 30lb line should be fine and wont snap if it isnt weakened.

Comment

Originally posted by codcatcher3000 View Post
        is there a reason u would not want to fish with a leader? apart rom casting having a leader helps bring up the biggie should u hook one.. u can use 25lb without shockleader on a lighter 3-4 oz lead however i would personally keep a shockleader one tho...its good practice and responsible angling... i have used 35lb line wihout shockleader in my beginner days ...did have a few occasion where the line snapped...i know tend to use shockleader to prevent this from happening
        +1 Shokky is good practice. Allways necessary for both you and everyone around you to stay safe.
        Cod Mission: Cod over 5lb!

Success: 27/09/12

PB COD!!!: 9lb 13OZ!

Chance of Success?: Dismal, But possible!

Comment

for safety reasons its recomended to use 10lb line per 1 oz. of lead for example 5 oz weight would need 50lb shockleader

Comment

would always use a leader on the river ,pier or beach but on the rocks where you very rarely get your gear back unless theres a fish on i use higher dia line for simple overhead lobs

Comment

without a shock leader if you injure someone be prepared for a visit from claims direct.
              have you got a cloth

Comment

Originally posted by tonybax View Post
                without a shock leader if you injure someone be prepared for a visit from claims direct.
                Exactly...

Comment

exactly
                  AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Originally posted by lingking View Post
                    exactly
                    CopyCat!!

Comment

how big is the river but i would say 30lb

Comment

lol lads, sorry to say but i don't think it matters to the insurance company / claims company whether you had a leader on lol more the fact that someones been hit in the dome with a hefty bit of lead.

haha ....

but yes, always use a leader :P

Comment

i dont use a shockleader for the river, 25lb line, never snapped.... but had plenty snap offs when i do use a leader when the knot hits the rings. so for me id rather trust no snap offs compared to watching my leader and gear go byebye

Comment

Originally posted by ozzy37 View Post
                            i dont use a shockleader for the river, 25lb line, never snapped.... but had plenty snap offs when i do use a leader when the knot hits the rings. so for me id rather trust no snap offs compared to watching my leader and gear go byebye
                            The people around you are more important than losing a bit gear, maybe its the type of knot your using to tie your leader or the length of your leader is too short..i would never trust casting a 6oz lead with 25lb line and no leader....
                            Last edited by OuTkast76; 24-01-2012, 02:01 AM.

Comment

And the police maybe

Comment

Working...
                              X