No announcement yet.

gill nets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doc, have you got any news on the issues i brought at last meeting, Gateshead.
    Pots around Herd Groyne, S/S pier and Roker Pier.
    Terry
    If people think you are an idiot, why speak and remove all doubt !

Comment

Hi Terry, apologies for the slow response to this.

I spoke to the CFO a couple of days ago and raised the issue with him, he is aware of the problem and I offered to go out with the NE Guardian to assess the scale of the problem and to identify where possible the illegal pots/nets and to try and determine how to remove them. His response was that there maybe problems of draft in terms of getting the NE guardian close enough to assess the situation. I pointed out to him that if this was the case them the gears where definitely set illegally and as a consequence should be removed ASAP.

What I need to do now is to try and determine the scale of the problem both on a spatial and temporal basis, as this has implications for both the NESFC and the EA (salmon and trout) if nets are set during the summer and not just out of season. To my mind the fact that they cannot get in to assess the problem because of draft and safety issues, is not a good reason to ignore the problem, especially when it has such a great impact on other users. I\'ll continue to persue this paricular line at the moment, until I get nowhere with it, then I\'ll have to take it up with a higher body.

The CFO did acknowlege that there is a significant problem with illegal netting in the northern part of the NESFC district and that it is an ongoing issue. He contends that much of the illegal netting is not set by legitimate commercial, but by hobby fishermen trying to supplement their income, irrespective of who is setting the gear it needs to be removed and the limits of the netting byelaw enforced. The NESFC are the managers and enforcers of the Fishery, not just the commercial sector. I will try and force this issue, but would not expect too much action this side of xmas, as with all fisheries related issues it takes too long to get the wheels of authority into motion.

Cheers for now

Doc
      If it doesn't bite its not worth catching!!!

Comment

Lots of information here:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/sacn/ill_net.htm

The next phase of the DEFRA consultation arising from the Bass Management Plan will include proposals for further restrictions on inshore netting.

Make sure that you respond and let them know your views

Comment

Working...
        X