Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NWSA Sunday 11.11.07

NWSA Sunday 11.11.07

A few showers were forecast for the day but in all it turned into a cool sunny day. Pressure rose from 1015 to 1020 during the day while a North West wind soon disappeared after the first round and swung into the North East from 10 to 17 mph. The court was changed after a few rounds and the wind was reasonable down the court for the rest of the day.

Paul Johnstone who has been casting well all year, ruled the day, but only just, as John Brimblecombe came storming through with some magnificent casting and upping his pb’s all day to finish in second place. Josh Evans played with the 150g and gained a pb, while Bob Collins came over from the North East and had some great casts finishing with a pb. Heath Atkinson was on the pb trail again while newcomer Jonathan Pendlebury enjoyed his first event and vowed to be back. Graham Clarkson tried the 125g and gained a pb. Lou Marsden came along and managed a few casts, then Pete Roberts put one down the centre line absolutely dead on.

Later in the day the Cane Challenge was resurrected.This was tried by Chris Hughes who amazingly put a lead out to over 174 yds and with a fixed spool. Check his results against his carbon pole!. Basically it’s a 9 foot cane tip about one inch in diameter and with a four foot Ash butt. What an animal it is and could be a permanent challenge at the NWSA, but not I am afraid for the faint hearted!

Len

Len

hello Fingers the NUTTER is back on line down here in colne lancashire , some good casting there especially Bob collins ,congratulations Bob on the magic 250 also congratulations to all the other lads who got PB,s , hopefully next year I shall be back to learn how to cast again when Ive finished doing this house up .

Comment

Yehaaaaaaa the nutters back!!!

Hi Pete ...good to see you back on line....

Playing with those bricks again eh..
      Len

Comment

yep an it only hurts when you trap your thumbs , I see that baz has started casting again last time I saw him was at NESA running down the side of the field with folk shouting at him "Run Forrest Run" that was when Ade an Ellaine ran the events there
        Last edited by purglaspete; 12-11-2007, 09:42 PM. Reason: missed out some detail

Comment

pm sent pete...
          Len

Comment

Lots of PB's great
            NESA = No Exaggerated Sillyness Allowed

N.B - The above post is the personal thoughts and views of Andy 'Led Chukka' Miller and not those of any Association, Club or Federation that he is a member or representative of. Any issues with content should be addressed directly and not through his memberships.

Comment

Originally posted by purglaspete View Post
              yep an it only hurts when you trap your thumbs , I see that baz has started casting again last time I saw him was at NESA running down the side of the field with folk shouting at him "Run Forrest Run" that was when Ade an Ellaine ran the events there
              remember it well m8 hows it going the son jamie wanted to have a go so he's talked me back into it he's doing well set two new records of the ground im just there to keep him company will you be gracing us with your company next year pete.

Comment

hello Baz if I get this house we bought finished I will make a few guest appearances providing the men in white coats dont catch me first

Comment

A few pics from at the NWSA competition 11.11.07

Paul Wilson

Josh Evans

John Walker

Chris..Paul..Phil..

Chris Hughes with the Cane Challenge 174-1-9

Len

Comment

cheers len great pics

Comment

Thanks, nice pictures there Fingers.

Considering there is already a good foot of set in the cane and then I'm bending against the set (fixed spool pulling the line onto the rod) there's about four foot of bend in the rod, I didn't think it would bend that much, but its a nice stiff through action. From a casting point of view it felt OK and on the day wasn't far behind my efforts with my Dymic LT, but taking it's weight into account, I don't think I'd like to fish with it for long.
                      aka "Frodo Baggins"

Comment

Well done with the 'Stick!' Chris. You seem to come round the side more on the photo's (not chopping the corner), Did the shorter length of the 'rod' seem any easier to handle? Must have a go myself next time, thought Len was taking the p#ss when he asked if i wanted a crack at it!

Comment

Its the dogs doo dah,s the cane rod it sorts the men from the boys Ive seen martin watson do over 220 with it and just carrying it around helps develop muscles

Comment

Yes John, the photos look as if every thing is flatter, but with the camera angle as it is, it's hard to say if the final hit is still flat and round the corner or whether it's chopping the corner. The weight of the stick perhaps helped to keep things low.

On Sunday in an effort to get the lead round the corner, I shortened my reel position from 12'6" down to 12'0" from the tip but couldn't get the casts right with most casts of the day hooking low and left with the lead and line passing through several yards of grass, suggesting my drop was too short with the new reel position. Given the good casting conditions my casts where 20 to 30 yards down on what I should have achieved on the day - most frustrating.

The length of the stick and my rod would be roughly the same with the rod at 13" total and the bamboo stick at 9" with 4" of handle and with similar reel positions on both.
                            aka "Frodo Baggins"

Comment

Your not wrong there Peter, the weight was noticeably greater than the usual carbon stick. But having been brought up on timber (Green Hart), split cane and solid glass rods, I couldn't resist having a go with it. If the cane challenge is to be resurrected, perhaps we should strap a wooden centre pin (Scarborough) reel on it, get right back to basics.
                              aka "Frodo Baggins"

Comment

Working...
                              X