No announcement yet.

you can not buy distance , you can now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, fixed spool and braid will just get you roughly the same distance as a multi IMO... Unless your fishing heavy braid vs heavy mono, then the braid will give you valuable yards if you need them..

I found that with braid shockas that the bait unclips a lot of the time with no cushioning affect. I'm not willing to change rigs, casting style etc..just to use a braid shocka and braid just for better bite detection when it's flat calm!

I've recently switched to mono shocka with braid with no problems thus far by tweekin it. It still bangs through the rings and prob looses a few yards distance wise.. I'll give it a go this summer and if I don't like it there'll be a shimano fixed spool in the for sale section come sept!!

As for long rods, a good caster with a powerful shorter rod will outcast a long rod IMO with bait esp in cod weather...
    Last edited by Cod,cod,cod!; 23-03-2014, 03:36 PM.
    The 'five plums!' Northumberland sea league champions.

Comment

been reading about the braid scenario.

long continental rods wth fspool and braid will give the overhead thumper more distance than normal beach rod.

plus your normal beach rod can be used with braid fspool pendulum which will give better distances than mono.

been giving the braid a go for a little while but still not sure if way to go plenty of advantages and disadvantages.
      did you know panel pins comes in diff sizes ?

Comment

, , yeh marra can get a half decent cast with a fixed spool and braid on a lighter rod. and know some good anglers who have changed and stuck with it.

tried it myself down the chems over a season just wasn't for me.
        normally down there when the winds blown a hooly, and the sea is away. light rod and braid wouldn't cope as mono/hard rod would. rod just flapping about not for me.
        tried thin braid and suitable rod, still couldn't cope with the conditions. even holding the rod.
        lost a few fish messing about trying to cusion the lack of stretch in the braid with the give in the soft rod, by this time fish snagged, and gone, hook ripped out.

know paul medd, n them kings of this set up, must know summit I dont

totally agree about buying distance just not for the idiots who prefer to stand in a onshore gale holding a scaffold pole

ha
        Last edited by Deans; 02-04-2014, 09:26 PM.

Comment

casting ???

iv read a lot off posts on here and on other sites . with a lot off different coments on grass with this rod and that rod and reels they casting 250 + .but put a rig and bait on see how good there are I cast on grass with zziplex m427 and penn mag2 . 18lb line 60 shock leader 5oz sinker and empty the reel . same with my daiwa st . but put rig and bait on I cant . my brother with his 10 year old rod and reel casts about the same when we are fishing ?? so can you really buy distance . I fished the glass center few weeks back with the old man . there was a lad zziplex m427 su and daiwa st not the cheapest set up . he was pendling ? casting ??? whats the point . or iam totally wrong

Comment

Originally posted by scotty73 View Post
            iv read a lot off posts on here and on other sites . with a lot off different coments on grass with this rod and that rod and reels they casting 250 + .but put a rig and bait on see how good there are I cast on grass with zziplex m427 and penn mag2 . 18lb line 60 shock leader 5oz sinker and empty the reel . same with my daiwa st . but put rig and bait on I cant . my brother with his 10 year old rod and reel casts about the same when we are fishing ?? so can you really buy distance . I fished the glass center few weeks back with the old man . there was a lad zziplex m427 su and daiwa st not the cheapest set up . he was pendling ? casting ??? whats the point . or iam totally wrong
            personaly myself i have no idea how far i put a baited rig out and i like to put out a baited rig whilst fishing and i certainly cant walk on water to measure how far it went.

some days it looks as if rig is going out a long way other days not wether they are going out on good days is debatable sometimes for some reason they look as if they land a long way out or is it a illusion.

the only way to measure your cast is on a field measured compared to others casting clubs etc.

personaly myself i am happy enough doing what i do and thats all that matters just go down to enjoy myself fish are out of range some days and you can overcast them other days.
            did you know panel pins comes in diff sizes ?

Comment

Well said John, its always good to have the option of going long
              Many a true word is said in jest!

Comment

. I fished the glass center few weeks back with the old man . there was a lad zziplex m427 su and daiwa st not the cheapest set up . he was pendling ? casting ??? whats the point . or iam totally wrong[/QUOTE]

Not fished the glass centre but judging by wearmouth bridge. Its probably only 100 yards across. Was he past the half way mark.

Comment

about half way cant see the point my sell . theres no need to do that casting at that mark .don't know if he was practicing casting but think he should give it up

Comment

Originally posted by scotty73 View Post
                    about half way cant see the point my sell . theres no need to do that casting at that mark .don't know if he was practicing casting but think he should give it up
                    its not wide enough and far to dangerous to practice there

Comment

Originally posted by stephie1 View Post
                      . I fished the glass center few weeks back with the old man . there was a lad zziplex m427 su and daiwa st not the cheapest set up . he was pendling ? casting ??? whats the point . or iam totally wrong
                      Not fished the glass centre but judging by wearmouth bridge. Its probably only 100 yards across. Was he past the half way mark.[/QUOTE]

Judging that you don't even know how to spell pendulum you don't know what one is ! he was probably doing a fishing pendulum of sorts so many different ways to swing the lead, not all involve full rotation and max power

Comment

Originally posted by simon View Post
                        Not fished the glass centre but judging by wearmouth bridge. Its probably only 100 yards across. Was he past the half way mark.
                        Judging that you don't even know how to spell pendulum you don't know what one is ! he was probably doing a fishing pendulum of sorts so many different ways to swing the lead, not all involve full rotation and max power[/QUOTE]

Considering he has done over 300 yards I think he does know

Comment

Judging that you don't even know how to spell pendulum you don't know what one is ! he was probably doing a fishing pendulum of sorts so many different ways to swing the lead, not all involve full rotation and max power[/QUOTE]

sorry didn't know it was a spelling test

Comment

[QUOTE
                            Considering he has done over 300 yards I think he does know[/QUOTE]

not that old chestnut again hahaha

Comment

Ha ha ha im saying nowt and never mispelt any wongwerdz.
                              So how far is the river at that point. Cant be far.lol.

Comment

[QUOTE
                                Considering he has done over 300 yards I think he does know
                                not that old chestnut again hahaha[/QUOTE]

Fact mate not fiction if you knew who he was it would be a different message

Comment

Working...
                                X