No announcement yet.

Which fixed spool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lot depends what reel is to be used for reason i say this on account it is very hard to find a reel which is very good at everything.
    did you know panel pins comes in diff sizes ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Alexander View Post
      Can I ask which one do you use?
      My 12 Year old Japan factory built Daiwa Tournament S.

Also borrowed and used Stellas, Aero Technium mgs,Saragosa,and Ultegras.

Currently using and trying a Okuma Raw II 80, which l must say is absolute quality for the price, with braid in heavy kelp,off cliffs,it has solid tight gearing ,cranks well under load and casts well plenty far enough.For £120 you cant go wrong.

Comment

beachbuddy was mentioning earlier beatin the object of heavy braid which i fully agree and dont understand people buying the chinese cheaper stuff which comes out a fair bit thicker than the likes of whiplash.

this is the main disadvantage of braid .

one of the main advantages of braid as everyone says is the thiness so why buy the chinese stuff.now i have put my foot in it everyone will start buying the whiplash and price will go up.
        did you know panel pins comes in diff sizes ?

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor1 View Post

Currently using and trying a Okuma Raw II 80, which l must say is absolute quality for the price, with braid in heavy kelp,off cliffs,it has solid tight gearing ,cranks well under load and casts well plenty far enough.For £120 you cant go wrong.
          That's great, I have looked at the Okuma fixed spools when I've been in the tackle shops but Just the fact that they are Okumas has put me off, so it's good to hear from someone that's been using them.
          I love my Daiwa Tournament 6000t also but the other reel is an ultegra and it needs a bit of attention now so instead of buying some spares it might just pay me to try one of the Okumas.

Thanks again for your reply, Ian.

Comment

Originally posted by john/r View Post
            beachbuddy was mentioning earlier beatin the object of heavy braid which i fully agree and dont understand people buying the chinese cheaper stuff which comes out a fair bit thicker than the likes of whiplash.

one of the main advantages of braid as everyone says is the thiness so why buy the chinese stuff.now i have put my foot in it everyone will start buying the whiplash and price will go up.
            I don't use braid for distance, I use it purely for the extra breaking strain and the zero stretch for rough ground, just shows you how much shimano must be making 1000 metres of power pro £135
            1000 metres of spectra £14 is the distance worth it??

Comment

Have to agree here with beachbuddy and John, the cheap online braid works but its obviously thicker, but will suffice and do a job for anyone on a budget.If you can afford genuiene whiplash or power pro they would be my first choice.I ve found to bite the bullet on the price,as they will out last and out cast many times over the chinease brands on ebay.Making in the long run them more economical.

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor1 View Post

Having used a trio rex i found it crap compared to a std ultegra and even a surfblaster. Can't comment on the raw so maybe thats ok and doesn’t suffer from issues i found mainly cheap material's and a design fault in the way the spool is angled towards the rod. I know for around £120 i would be looking at a penn conflict or finding a few quid more for something from shimano.

Comment

There is some cheaper good braid out there but you have to search hard to find it. If your wanting distance you dont really have a choice tho and need to dig deep for powerpro, whiplash or code red. I tried cheap braid for shockleaders and had nothing but trouble with crackoffs and destroyed rings caused by bigger knots. Learnt my lesson and now stick to 100lb whiplash which i have every faith in. Not cheap but the best never is. Why put yourself at a disadvantage when you don't have to.

Comment

I have tried a few fixed spools now and from my findings I have come to this conclusion, for out an out distance the shimanos are the best but for heavy work on cliffs an rough ground the full metal body penns are the best I have the new spinfisher long cast it seems very heavy but is only 100grams more then the ultegra c14+ I had. But the winching power is a lot better. But the spinfisher had very good line lay so find it the best compromise for distance over cranking power. Will the £700 techniums out last 5 penn fixed spools in the rough ground? I don't think they will so can justify paying the extra. What I do want is a reel that casts like a technium but has the power of the full metal body's.

Comment

I would have to agree. The spinfisher lc7500 is prob the best reel for performance per £.

If possible could someone who owns the new penn post a pic showing the line lay.

Comment

Originally posted by CHUKKA View Post
                        I would have to agree. The spinfisher lc7500 is prob the best reel for performance per £.

If possible could someone who owns the new penn post a pic showing the line lay.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1523623

Hard to see with messy leader on it. Will take some more pics later

Comment

Originally posted by CHUKKA View Post
                          There is some cheaper good braid out there but you have to search hard to find it. If your wanting distance you dont really have a choice tho and need to dig deep for powerpro, whiplash or code red. I tried cheap braid for shockleaders and had nothing but trouble with crackoffs and destroyed rings caused by bigger knots. Learnt my lesson and now stick to 100lb whiplash which i have every faith in. Not cheap but the best never is. Why put yourself at a disadvantage when you don't have to.
                          Not everyone has money coming out their arse for whiplash for a start. Diameters on whiplash are false secondly, power pro would be my choice given the option thirdly and lastly there's nowt wrong with Chinese braid for those on a budget IF you can find a good one.
                          Regards Nicky.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Comment

Got to disagree with the cheap chineese stuff. Some is terrible but for lobbing into rough ground don't see the point in loosing £30 spools of braid but for distance you need whiplash or power pro

Comment

You just like to disagree Phil
                              Regards Nicky.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Comment

Originally posted by topbanana View Post
                                You just like to disagree Phil
                                Haha at times but for rough ground lobbin I don see the advantage of thin expensive braid so I agree there lol jus the cheap stuff I have tried was crap, spectra 100lb braid is decent for leaders mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X