Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double Sided Flounders (mods any chance of making this sticky?)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kela66 View Post
    thought this might be of some intrest not a double sided but a side and a bit (sorry for he poor quality of the pic)
    The texture skin comes off when they swim across rocks, get loads like that at sandy bay!

Comment

if you do get any could you post it here, where and when you caught it. for some reason the areas that for a long time produced thes fish no longer seem to and that goes for the Wansbeck, lads who still fish and are aware of the studies have caught very few, wherer at one time there where loads. Another interesting thing is that the number of diseased flounders has dropped to almost nil. I inspect all the flounders at the opens etc and have seen no double sided or diseased flounders for a few years. i am still in contact with the Dove, looking into other aspects of flounder life. so if you let me know precise info I can pass it on. All info appreciated.
      Alan

Comment

I've caught a few of these when I've had kids out fishing. One off Blyth Pier, one off roker pier and one off newbiggin beach (both brown with white blemishes on bottom) and one at Horden beach on Thursday (fully brown both sides). None of them had extra eyes though
        <i>Put back what you don't need.</i>

Comment

Caught a flounder of roker pier late summer similar to pictures posted the back 1/3 near the tail was double sided, didn't think much of it to be honest, I've also seen a Dab caught by a friend with same sort of semi double sided colouration.

Sorry no photo's fish was around 30-ish cms

Comment

if you get anymore can you record size, date etc and send to me
            Alan

Comment

Double sided Flounder

Caught one that was brown on both sides at Seaton Sluice in front of the Astley Arms, on 4/11/08. Size.........only a little one at 20cm's.

Comment

like this 1

like this one?
                Attached Files
                give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Originally posted by stephenswann View Post
                  like this one?
                  Yep, that's the very thing. Thanks for posting the pics - where was it caught?

Comment

Caught a full double sider 5 years ago at Spittal beach.About 8" long.No pics though,sorry.
                    You can't fall off the floor.

Comment

Cheers Derek and welcome to NESA.

Jim.
                      Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

years back i have had 1 or 2 from the mud flats on the wansbeck and also from the tyne, but really far up in the mud just behind the audi garage and AA call centre on scotswood road
                        not sure if its a thing that happens due to the mud if they are there all the time, or just the opposite to an albino effect?

Comment

Double sided flounder pictures - Cambois beach 24.01.09

Hi caught this the other night thought it was diseased until my mate told me the crack it was around 6 inches in length. Had some damage to its fin but swam away fine.

Last edited by Tiddler; 08-05-2011, 12:06 AM.

Comment

cheers Tiddler, will pass the photos onto Margaret Gill, she will be pleased with them.
                            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Tiddler View Post
                              Hi caught this the other night thought it was diseased until my mate told me the crack it was around 6 inches in length. Had some damage to its fin but swam away fine.

Was a good looking flattie, lovely markings on it. Both sides lol
                              To get away from dragons and catch monsters.

Pig Hunter

Comment

Margaret was absolutely delighted with the photos
                                Alan

Comment

Working...
                                X