Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double Sided Flounders (mods any chance of making this sticky?)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cambois rocks

Caught an almost full double sider next to Cambois rocks last week. very small patch of white next to its tail. probably only 3/4 lb - 10ins

Comment

Was at Blyth pier today and caught a doubler. not a full one but nearly, it wasn't very big but it went back to be caught another day.

Comment

Had a small but perfectly formed doubler today fishing Roker, not the biggest but came in at about 22cm:

To be honest he did well to get to the bait past the little coalies that were hitting everything the minute it was in the water but I'm not complaining, my first double sided Flounder
        CLIP IT AND WHACK IT

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Tucker View Post
          Had a small but perfectly formed doubler today fishing Roker, not the biggest but came in at about 22cm:

To be honest he did well to get to the bait past the little coalies that were hitting everything the minute it was in the water but I'm not complaining, my first double sided Flounder
          proper double sider that like mate

anyone know the cause of this yet?

Comment

there has been no answer forthcoming and the person who ws doing the work has now retired and I don't think anyone else is carrying the studies on
            Alan

Comment

Be interesting to keep it going on here, should someone else pick up the study it might provide some handy information for them.
              They were prolific around the wansbeck for quite some time, but I'm lacking transport for a while so haven't been along there since early last summer.

Comment

Hi,

I fished Cambois beach on 10th March (into mouth of River Wansbeck opposite caravans). Caught 4 small flatties, 2 of which were normal, 1 was a complete double sider and 1 had patches of brown on the underside. Never heard of or seen any double siders before looking on NESA then caught 2 myself on next trip out!. Fished same place Sunday gone and caught one flattie which was normal. Got picture on my phone of patchy brown underside flattie so will try and put it on.

Regards.

Dandin1o.

Comment

Seen quite a few over the winter season, Creswell, Hadston and Warkworth.
                  Demons run when a good man goes to war...

Comment

double sider

Thought id post this on here since i know its still going on, went for a few hours in the tyne last night managed to hook this flounder with 2 sides

Always got it!

Comment

I got a double sided dab from the brigade hut on shields in the winter. Has anyone had one of them before?
                      <i>Put back what you don't need.</i>

Comment

Never seen one over here
                        DAD AND DAUGHTER
                        TEAM DENOVAN

Comment

A lad next to me caught one tonight at blyth pier.
                          PB: 3lb 12oz Bass back in 1998
                          2013 Species: Cod, Bass, Pollock, Wrasse, Whiting, Mackarel, Coalfish, Flounder, Dab, Rockling

Comment

Originally posted by 5150 View Post
                            Be interesting to keep it going on here, should someone else pick up the study it might provide some handy information for them.
                            They were prolific around the wansbeck for quite some time, but I'm lacking transport for a while so haven't been along there since early last summer.
                            the company i work for has made a 19 metre research vessel for newcastle university. it`s moored in blyth next 2 the old life boat launce, a could ask if these studies are ongoin.

Comment

Originally posted by 5150 View Post
                              It happens on and off mate, don't think they're fully sure what causes it ie whether it's something getting into the water affecting them or just an abnormality that does the rounds now and then. Go through years where there's loads of them and then years where you barely see any at all.

You tend to see variations from a few patches of the "dark" markings on the white belly, like blemishes. Then you get completely double-dark sided fish, sometimes with additional eyes, looks like 2 flatties glued together! I think double-white sided fish are far less common from what I've read.
                              I think its the pesticides that come off the farm lands or the waste from factories that does this as it all goes into the river and god knows what else but thats my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X