killing fish to keep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• killing fish to keep

On many of the sea fishing vids I see and sadly where ever I've seen sea fish caught , they are given absolutely no resect I.E. putting them out of their distress with a couple of knocks on the head as soon as they are landed .. It seems that most in sea angling circles think it ok to mess the fish about howkin away at the hooks whilst struggling with a very much alive, aware and flapping fish. if a fish is to be kept surely it's both much easier and kinder all round to knock it first then perform deep surgery to retieve the hooks. I saw a video on youtube of a Norwegian codding trip from Sunderlad where one of the ''gentlemen'' lifted a fish out about 10lbs by its eye sockets.. clever lad .... I'd like to think he has the treatment returned one day

Originally posted by neefish View Post
    On many of the sea fishing vids I see and sadly where ever I've seen sea fish caught , they are given absolutely no resect I.E. putting them out of their distress with a couple of knocks on the head as soon as they are landed .. It seems that most in sea angling circles think it ok to mess the fish about howkin away at the hooks whilst struggling with a very much alive, aware and flapping fish. if a fish is to be kept surely it's both much easier and kinder all round to knock it first then perform deep surgery to retieve the hooks. I saw a video on youtube of a Norwegian codding trip from Sunderlad where one of the ''gentlemen'' lifted a fish out about 10lbs by its eye sockets.. clever lad .... I'd like to think he has the treatment returned one day
    Don't be such a fool and get back on facey or snap chat and spout some -hite on there you muppet

Comment

Just think of the millions of fish that are caught in nets every day.
      No one knocks them on the heed before they are gutted.......

Comment

need to find some different fur to hug mate
        AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

I think the guy has a valid point no need to give the anti's more ammunition to fire at anglers, personally I kill all fish I intend keeping and those I don't keep I return as quickly as possible even if deeply hooked I will cut the line as close as I can to the hook leaving the hook in the fish to rust away

Comment

Originally posted by bilbobagins View Post
            I think the guy has a valid point no need to give the anti's more ammunition to fire at anglers, personally I kill all fish I intend keeping and those I don't keep I return as quickly as possible even if deeply hooked I will cut the line as close as I can to the hook leaving the hook in the fish to rust away
            Congratulations I'll remember that next time Iam out.

Comment

makes a sound point - anything we have the power to kill for the plate should be handled with respect and humanity. Needless pain like whats described makes no sense. Always dispatch my fish quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by beachbuddy View Post
                Don't be such a fool and get back on facey or snap chat and spout some -hite on there you muppet
                what a charmer.

Comment

Knock them on the head!
                  It doesn't take much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray.J. View Post
                    Knock them on the head!
                    It doesn't take much.
                    Actually makes getting a deep hook back aswell! No reason not to give a fish a quick dispatch if your keeping it.
                    "In order to becomes old and wise, first you must be young and stupid."

PB. Ling - 12lb 6oz. Cod - 11lb 6oz, Coley - 3lb 6oz, Pollock - 4lb 1oz, Flounder - 1lb 11oz, Plaice - 1lb 10oz, Whiting 1lb 9oz.

North east bass fishing addict.
                    PB 2lb 9oz.

Comment

I couldn't agree more, I'm sure everyone would be disgusted if a lamb or chicken was treated in that way. That said I have no problem threading a worm onto a hook alive or cutting a crab in half to put on my hook I guess there's a fine line between sentiment and hypocrisy.
                      Happy to help, Keen to learn!

Fishing marks Seaham - Lynemouth
                      http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...!467&encType=1

Fishing Marks Lynemouth - North
                      http://www.bing.com/maps/Default.asp...!739&encType=1

Popular lure Marks

Comment

Originally posted by Wood22 View Post
                        what a charmer.
                        You and nee brains should have a pow wow up st Mary's with the other buffoon's
                        That spout -hite

Comment

Originally posted by beachbuddy View Post
                          You and nee brains should have a pow wow up st Mary's with the other buffoon's
                          That spout -hite
                          Eh? What's going on here?

Comment

Seems I have hit a raw nerve with ''beachbuddy''???? ... His intelligent , enlightened and well crafted answer to my post demonstrates my point about the attitude of some more eloquently than I ever could . A real gem.

Perhaps beachbuddy and the other ''anti knock 'em'' guys could educate me as to whats so bad about knocking keepers before unhooking ?? I'll be very interested in their reasons. Other than ''cant be arsed, or couldn't give a f...'' of course.

As for commercially caught fish being gutted alive, it is an unforunate but
                            unavoidable fact of life.
                            As anglers we have a choice.

Good to see supporting answers ... there are some good guys out there

Comment

Commercial fisherman could knock them on the head but for speed they choose to gut them alive, as for knocking a size fish on the head i don't i unhook them if not gut hooked then keep them alive in a pool of water near me, incase i only get the one and don't think its worth keeping by itself, then its returned or dispatched if i have more than the one fish.

Comment

Working...
                              X