killing fish to keep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ivabigone View Post
    Think you need to take up some think else to do with your time if the fact of killing fish clearly affects you take up some thing less barbaric happy days
    its not the killing Iva.... it's the Not killing .....

Comment

If you were putting a dog or cat down would you kill it quickly or let it die slowly

Comment

Originally posted by neefish View Post
        On many of the sea fishing vids I see and sadly where ever I've seen sea fish caught , they are given absolutely no resect I.E. putting them out of their distress with a couple of knocks on the head as soon as they are landed .. It seems that most in sea angling circles think it ok to mess the fish about howkin away at the hooks whilst struggling with a very much alive, aware and flapping fish. if a fish is to be kept surely it's both much easier and kinder all round to knock it first then perform deep surgery to retieve the hooks. I saw a video on youtube of a Norwegian codding trip from Sunderlad where one of the ''gentlemen'' lifted a fish out about 10lbs by its eye sockets.. clever lad .... I'd like to think he has the treatment returned one day
        shall we apply the same rules for lobsters, crabs...mussels....maybe even plants?

i guess anyone who eats, uses, kills living creatures is in the same dilemma ...never easy.

still every carefully caught and taken fish from the sea is better than trawler or longline stuff.

i somehow refuse to compare the dispatching of a mammal with the one of a fish.

how do we know that slamming a fish dead or stabbing etc is "kind" and better than any other method.

lobster lovers around the world argue what is the "nicest" way to kill them...and surprise surprise nobody knows really

i would say, leave it with evryone and stop lecturing...maybe holding a coalie in the eyesocket is a very good way of holding them? Some say that grabbing them by the gills is awful...its their lungs !!
        Last edited by Wasabi; 30-10-2015, 04:12 PM.

Comment

"It's ok to eat fish, coz they don't have any feelings"
          - K Cobain

The study of James D. Rose, a professor of zoology and physiology at the University of Wyoming, has concluded that awareness of pain depends on functions of specific regions of the cerebral cortex that fish do not possess.
          If fish can't feel pain, can crabs feel pain or lobsters, mussels, periwinkles? if they really can't then your point is moot neefish.
          Last edited by Muad_Dib; 30-10-2015, 11:43 PM.

Comment

If fish etc. don't feel pain why do crabs nip as a form of defence?
            It's all subjective as to what 'pain' is.
            So I would rather remove all doubt and kill my fish quickly.

Comment

100% agree with you here mate. Treat a fish with as much care as possible if putting back and kill it when keeping. Can't see any other reason why anyone would do otherwise
              <i>Put back what you don't need.</i>

Comment

Originally posted by Mogthemackem View Post
                100% agree with you here mate. Treat a fish with as much care as possible if putting back and kill it when keeping. Can't see any other reason why anyone would do otherwise
                Based on that logic, we need to kill lobsters, mussels, crabs at sea

Comment

Lobsters, Crabs and Mussels can live out of water where as fish can't.

Comment

I personally despatch my fish quickly its what I was taught by my father when fishing as a lad imo its the right thing to do but not everybody will and that's fine everybody to there own
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2015, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Nice use of "temerity"

dont get enough big words on here
                      Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                      I AGREE

Comment

Temerity

''The Great Wallsendo'' the best name on the site kidda ..cracks me up every time I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wasabi View Post
                          shall we apply the same rules for lobsters, crabs...mussels....maybe even plants?

i guess anyone who eats, uses, kills living creatures is in the same dilemma ...never easy.

still every carefully caught and taken fish from the sea is better than trawler or longline stuff.

i somehow refuse to compare the dispatching of a mammal with the one of a fish.

how do we know that slamming a fish dead or stabbing etc is "kind" and better than any other method.

lobster lovers around the world argue what is the "nicest" way to kill them...and surprise surprise nobody knows really

i would say, leave it with evryone and stop lecturing...maybe holding a coalie in the eyesocket is a very good way of holding them? Some say that grabbing them by the gills is awful...its their lungs !!

ALL I'm advocating is kill keepers as soon as landed

Comment

Originally posted by The Great Wallsendo View Post
                            Nice use of "temerity"

dont get enough big words on here
                            T'was quite thaumaturgical.

Comment

wowza another radge thread !! cant believe treating your catch with a bit of respect and dispatching it as humanely as possible even comes up for discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by craigf197 View Post
                                wowza another radge thread !! cant believe treating your catch with a bit of respect and dispatching it as humanely as possible even comes up for discussion.
                                second that craig,pleased ive never got involved with thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X