Clear All

• PMR neptune conversion!

hi all
    i was having a chat with jamie from pmr about old reels and we
    got on the subject of old sh##e reels and the shakespear
    neptune came up! jamie decided to dig up his old neptune and
    have a play around with it!!
    he rang me earlier on saying that with a bearing added its
    now spin testing at just over a minute and a half!!!!
    and he hopes with a bit more tinkering he knows he can get two minutes!!
    plus hes on about trying to mag the one he has!!!
    why do this to a sub standard reel i hear you say well I'm
    not quite sure either but im getting blamed as i mentiioned it first!!
    its bassically to see if it can be done and its a bit out of the ordinary
    too!
    will post pictures as i get them so watch this space chaps!

Any reel can be made to spin faster by adding upgrade bearings and abit of thin oil
    Its just wen you come to throw the thing it may well explode, spool crack,
    Just becaaue it can spin fast doesnt mean its now a good reel i know your not sayin that mind

Mono mag conversions arnt the future neither
    PB SHORE COD 9LB 14oz seaton sluice 3/11/12
    PB BOAT COD 9lb 15oz
    PB COALIE 9lb 8oz
    PB LING 7lb 8oz

Comment

Originally posted by david.northeast View Post
      Any reel can be made to spin faster by adding upgrade bearings and abit of thin oil
      Its just wen you come to throw the thing it may well explode, spool crack,
      Just becaaue it can spin fast doesnt mean its now a good reel i know your not sayin that mind

Mono mag conversions arnt the future neither
      iknow that mate im a bit dubious too but its bassically just a mess around to see if it can be done and if it is functional then we just take it from there!
      he aint spent any money on it either just gear whats been lying
      around david mate!
      just having a bit of fun plus on the exploding front it will be fully tested
      too thats the last thing we want lol!!

Comment

Haha ne bother mate
        Get him to send you a few of these "test reels" and have a bit fun with the doon the river
        PB SHORE COD 9LB 14oz seaton sluice 3/11/12
        PB BOAT COD 9lb 15oz
        PB COALIE 9lb 8oz
        PB LING 7lb 8oz

Comment

Originally posted by david.northeast View Post
          Haha ne bother mate
          Get him to send you a few of these "test reels" and have a bit fun with the doon the river
          already sent off mate!! sent me old neptune away today will let you know when i get it back!!

Comment

Not a bad idea, you might end up with a cracking little reel Russell,
            hope it works.

Comment

can u tell jamie at pmr that his centre mag on a 6500 knacks the bearings quicker as it causes a vacum noticed between a centre mag and mono mag might just be my reels though

Comment

Originally posted by big phil 123 View Post
                can u tell jamie at pmr that his centre mag on a 6500 knacks the bearings quicker as it causes a vacum noticed between a centre mag and mono mag might just be my reels though
                hi phill!
                if you on ebay you can send him a pm mate! just put in pmr mag conversion and he will get back to you mate!

Comment

Video on youtube!!!

As the title suggests jamie has put a video on his youtube channel
                  just type in shakespear neptune and his channel should come up!
                  hes got a few more videos on there too

Comment

Shakespeare Neptune PMR bearing conversion.mov - YouTube
                    hope this works lads!!

Comment

Originally posted by RL83 View Post
                      Best of luck with this Russel ,and you gonna need it mate.LOL

I've looked at his you tube and he makes some very basic mistakes in his modification to this reel,in fact I listed about 5.
                      There's no point in listing all of them but I'll put the worst 1 first.

He says the spool to reel frame HAD fine tolerance and after he butchered the drive side plate he found the spool was catching on the frame..........so he put the spool in a lathe and machined a bit off the outside of the spool ?????????eh.Noooo.
                      The reason there's a fine tolerance between spool 0.D and frame is to stop the running line going down between the gap and jamming the reel up.he's just made this worse,a lot worse.

I've been repairing and overhauling mainly ABU 65 for years(35 plus)this is not good mate and for the money costs...well.

And by the way his spin test...bag of hammers springs to mind you can hear the spool is out of balance and also running out of true,if that reel was a tuned ABU or Daiwa you wouldn't hear it at all.

Tuning fast running beach casting reels is not just about how long you can spin it for,its about balance and fine tolerances and closing gaps not opening them up.

As I say best of luck mate,but you put this post up for comments and that's mine.

Comment

well harry like you said mate thats your opinion because thats the whole point
                        of this site!!
                        in my opinion hes never made a bad reel and he knows what he's doing as you do too! he wouldn't have attemped it otherwise
                        like i said harry its your opinion mate so we agree to disagree on this one!

Comment

of this site!!
                          in my opinion hes never made a bad reel and he knows what he's doing as you do too! he wouldn't have attemped it otherwise

That's fine Russel....opinions are one thing..facts are another.

Machine the outside of the spool to stop it catching on the frame...FACT wrong.

Using a 10mm drill to bore out a hole to fit a fine tolerance bearing in when this should be reamed to a very close tolerance FACT wrong.
                          Basic simple engineering practises not being used. FACT
                          I could go on.

Comment

of this site!!

he has made a bad reel my chrome rocket its noisey un castable and the centre mag damages the bearings and the run dry bearings are that noisy i had to put oil in to quiten them down i know ceramics scream but this screatches when i fill it with oil so i get more than ten yards before it snapps of looks great sitting on the table spinning for 6 weeks but cant use it however i will say his handles and star drags are good

Comment

Originally posted by big phil 123 View Post
                              he has made a bad reel my chrome rocket its noisey un castable and the centre mag damages the bearings and the run dry bearings are that noisy i had to put oil in to quiten them down i know ceramics scream but this screatches when i fill it with oil so i get more than ten yards before it snapps of looks great sitting on the table spinning for 6 weeks but cant use it however i will say his handles and star drags are good
                              hi phill
                              told you to contact him mate if theres a problem he will
                              rectify it as he's a good bloke and will hold his hands up if
                              owts wrong phill!!
                              plus you did say it mite be your reel apposed to the conversion
                              but its worth finding out phill mate

Comment

Working...
                              X