dredging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dredging

On holiday last week I noticed a french dredger coming in and out of the harbour at shields . Does anyone know where he is dumping the spoil (so I can avoid it ! )He was not gone long before he was back

A lad I work with used to be on the dredgers years ago ,I\'ll see if he\'s got any idea Dave.
    You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

Looks like its going to be a poor year from shields pier then the last few year when they have dredged, the water was brown and the fishing very very poor.

Comment

Have a look here, Dave.........doesn\'t make very encouraging reading.

http://www.southtynesidetoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=1111&ArticleID=933917

I\'ve been watching the dredger for about a week......seems to be dumping the spoil off Souter aswell.......a few miles further out, though.

Comment

You lot just cheered me up so much more today as if sitting in the house watching the rain lash down was a major then i read this thread lol.

Comment

It had been working further up the river, but I noticed on Wednesday PM that it was dredging the shipping channel in the harbour itself.
            2 passes up & down and it was fully laden......off it went....watched to see where it was going.....as I said, off Souter (about 4-6 miles out)......then back in it came to do the same again. This went on all Wed afternoon (and I dare say before and after then aswell).

Comment

maybe doing some work for the Tall Ships coming ??

Comment

Thanks lads . I\'ve just finnished a job on a suction dredger oddly enough and the volume of material they shift is incredible . Wherever they dump will turn in to a desert by the time they are done There is a case on whitesands beach currently where the locals and angling organisations got together to stop it and I think they won , which makes a change .Hope your wrong about 6miles from Souter Tony

Comment

Hi dave
                  if i was you i would be trying to find where he is dumping the spoil, not to avoid it but to fish over it. One of the best shore gounds just off hartlepool is called the dumps precisely because the stuff dumped there has made great peaks and troffs, had some good days fishing over them just as good as wrecking. Threre are also a couple of good areas off Blyth where spoil has been dumped and formed big mounds where good fishing can be had.
                  Alan

Comment

Hi alan , yeah i agree but not at first , it will take a while to settle down I think . The spoil ground of blyth has wrecks in it and they all do well as you say . Might be crying before we are hurt like , i\'ll have a run over them if the bloody weather ever improves .

Comment

Since there seems to be no catch reports of eels,colie etc from shileds pier and there should be loads this time of year, i take it the water is coloured and the fishing is poor.

Comment

Richy the River Blyth was still brown yesterday I presume the Tyne will be the same
                        Cheers Alan...

Comment

Alan I remember watching a video at school that showed the spoil dumped off Blyth from the power station. Once in water it turned to hard, concrete like. Although it would kill everything off to begin with it would quickly become reef like and hopefully untrawlable. Don\'t know if the silt from the bottom of the Tyne would have the same effect.

Comment

I think it is just the spoil from the power station that turned hard, i belive uyou can actually use it as a form of concrete. The spoil at Hartlepool stays soft and muddy, when you are fishing it when your jigger hits the bottom they actually sink in a little way, it is just like getting a take.
                            Alan

Comment

Should of said,its brown from the rain water and not through Dredging,
                              Cheers Alan...

Comment

Working...
                              X