With the first cold snap of the year hitting us in the UK, I decided it was a good time to do a review of the Mini Peacock Pocket Warmer, a petrol-fuelled hand warmer that gives hours of heat. I ordered mine from Broom Tackle Box and it arrived the very next day.
I won’t go heavily into how a pocket warmer works here. Not only are there simple instructions enclosed, but some of you may remember that I reviewed the Standard Peacock Hand Warmer some time back (and loved it) and explained how to fill and light it. You can read that review by CLICKING HERE. I still have that hand warmer (I’m not sure why I call them hand warmers rather than pocket warmers – it just seems more ‘normal’ to me, even though they sit in my pocket and warm my whole body!) and am delighted to say that it’s just as good as ever.
I’d decided that I wanted another one, simply because I have two hands and two front pockets most of the time – it seemed only fair to warm both sides of my body up! I chose the mini one this time for no other reason than to give me an opportunity to compare it against the standard one that I’d already reviewed.
Obviously, the Mini Peacock Pocket Warmer is smaller than the standard one (the clue’s in the name). It measures approximately 9cm x 6cm and is about 1cm thick. Therefore, it’s more discreet than its larger brother, which is about 10cm x 7cm x 1cm.
I already knew how to operate the warmer (see my previous review), so decided to compare it as soon as it arrived, filling each pocket warmer with one cap-full of fuel each and lighting them. My timing was perfect because, as already mentioned, we were just getting our proper first cold spell of Autumn.
I’m no scientist, but here’s what I expected; having a smaller wick and, therefore, a smaller area to burn fuel, I expected the Mini Peacock Pocket Warmer to burn longer.
Here’s what actually happened….
In my experience, and I’m on my second day of testing now, the mini warmer burns hotter and for a shorter length of time. When I say ‘shorter’, let me point out that it was burning for over 16 hours on one fill! It wasn’t as hot at the end of the cycle as at the start, but it was still enough to keep me warm. That was incredible, in my opinion. I’d put one cap-full of fuel in, but you can put another half in if you want a longer burn. I refuelled the warmer the same day and it seems to be doing the same – it’s definitely warmer on the same fuel load as the larger one. In fact, it’s warming away in my pocket as I type.
Having thought about it, I suppose it makes sense – the larger lighter spreads the fuel about a larger area inside, so would release it for burning more slowly. If I filled it with double the fuel, I’m sure it would burn hotter. Both warmers amaze me, though; how do they manage to burn for so long on such a tiny amount of fuel?
Which Would I Buy?
Tricky one, that. For most fishing sessions, the Mini Peacock Pocket Warmer would be more than adequate. Not only that, but being smaller makes it more discreet and easy to slip into your pocket at other times (I use my standard pocket warmer all over the winter!). The larger pocket warmer would be better for longer sessions, I suppose, as you can fill it with more fuel. That said, filling and lighting these things takes seconds, so it really is down to your own preference.
I’ve been called all manner of names by my friends because of my apparent obsession with things that keep me warm; ‘Big Girl’ and ‘Jessie’ seem to be favourites. However, I couldn’t care a hoot. Wherever I go in the UK, people are obsessed with the weather and constantly moaning about the temperature. The solution is simple – BUY YOURSELF A PEACOCK POCKET WARMER.
In fact, buy two.
If you’re warm when you’re fishing, or at any other time come to that, not only are you likely to be able to use your fingers to do the tasks you want them to do, but you’re also more likely to be in the state of mind to enjoy what you’re doing. I’ve seen plenty of people pack up and go home because it’s too cold. Peacock Pocket warmers will help you avoid being that person.
Where To Buy
It’s possible that you can buy a Peacock Pocket Warmer from your local tackle shop. A few sell them. However, as you’re almost certainly reading this review on a computer, CLICK HERE to see a selection of them for sale online in their various sizes. As mentioned right at the start, I got mine from Broom Tackle Box.
With delivery, I paid £25.20 for the mini pocket warmer. I’d also like to point out that this was £25.20 of my own money and that I thoroughly recommend this product not because somebody sent me one for free, but because it’s something I feel is so good that I’m happy to fork out my own cash for it. Twice!
Army Body Warmer Padded Mens Vest Fishing Jacket Hunting Gilet Olive Green M-6XL
Avid Thermite Body Warmer *All Sizes* NEW Carp Fishing Thermal Jacket
2 Pack Hand Warmers Hot Disposable Pocket Glove Instant Fishing Skiing Heat Pads
SCIERRA BODY WARMER JACKET COAT FLY FISHING SPEYCAST WALKING HIKING WADING FLIES
Metal Hand Warmer Petrol Reusable Pocket Portable For Ski Winter Camping New
Mens Multi Pocket Waistcoat Utility Fishing Hiking Travelling Body Warmer Gilet
Mil-Tec Mens Body Warmer HUNTING VEST Warm Work & Outdoor Gilet Woodland Camo
Mens Gilet Multi Pocket Padded Body Warmer Gilets Sizes L-2XL Sleeveless Jacket
*New* Mascot Quilted Body Warmer Zip Fastening & Back Pocket (2 Sizes Available)
2 x Original Japanese Peacock Hand Warmer Standard Size
- Famous Hand Warmer from Japan
- Up to 12 Hours of heat every time
- Size: 2.7" x 3.9" x 0.5" (68 x 100 x 13mm)
- Runs on Lighter Fluid
- Using a match to ignite
Hakkin Warmer PEACOCK Baby Mini Size POCKET HAND WARMER 20 Hours
- Hand Warmer
REPLACEMENT BURNER OF PEACOCK HAND WARMER For Giant Size
£10.90 in stock
- REPLACEMENT BURNER OF PEACOCK HAND WARMER
- For Giant Size
Zippo Hand Warmer - Matte Black
- Up to 12 hours of heat with one fill
- 10 Times more heat than a disposable hand warmer
- Features virtually odourless, reusable, realtree AP
- Sleek and lightweight
- Includes filler cup and warming bag
Zippo Unisex's Hour Heat 6 Easy Fill Re-Useable Hand Warmer, Chrome 6 Hr
£19.68 in stock
1 used from £17.01
- PORTABLE AND CONVENIENT: Zippo Refillable Hand Warmer has a sleek, thin design that can easily fit into your pockets. Our Hand warmer is conveniently 3.9 inches tall, 0.5 inches wide, and weighs 2.6 oz. Our product is perfectly portable & reusable.
- PERFECT FOR COLD WEATHER: Take our Zippo 6-Hour Refillable Hand warmer with you on any adventure: hunting, fishing, camping, and many more cold weather activities. Our Refillable Hand Warmers provide safe warmth with our odorless catalytic burner
- EASY FILL TECHNOLOGY: Remove Handwarmer burner top & fill the warmer with fluid using the spill-proof funnel. Once you have filled the Handwarmer with fluid, place the burner back on, & apply flame to it. Put the case top back on, & enjoy the heat!
- FAMOUS ZIPPO SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: Zippo Refillable Hand Warmers are backed by a 2-year warranty, and 30-day money back guarantee. Zippo’s durable hand warmer will exceed your expectations. If you are not satisfied, please contact our customer service.
- TRUSTED FOR MANY YEARS - Founded in 1932 Zippo is synonymous with the word Lighter. Known for their durability, reliability, and unmatched customer service, Zippo is world renowned and can be found in over 200 countries.