No announcement yet.

COMMENTS ON DAVIDS BOOK.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got time to read this brilliant book, start to finish great memories shared and enjoyed plus vast amount of knowlage. Last thing what's the running total of sales? Read a few pages back you were hoping for 1000 did you hit it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pighunter View Post
      Finally got time to read this brilliant book, start to finish great memories shared and enjoyed plus vast amount of knowlage. Last thing what's the running total of sales? Read a few pages back you were hoping for 1000 did you hit it?
      Thanks for your kind words. 40 left, at the last count.

Comment

• i great read david.pity that burnmouth shot didint produce for me,mind they were very small tides,take care david.

Comment

• 960 books sold well done does that put you back in the black?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pighunter View Post
            960 books sold well done does that put you back in the black?
            Put me in the black? hhmmmm an interesting question.

The taxman says no because by the time you've added up the production costs, the visits to SE Scotland to take the photos, catch the fish, experience the experience et al there's no material profit.

Fiscal figures say that 1000 books at £9.99 a book = £9999.00 so I'm well in!

but, if anyone's interested and I don't think I've ever publicised this before:

A number of companies wanted to publish the book. They wanted to charge me anything up to £13,000 and for that they would publicise, print and sell it for me. Costs per copy were considerable to you fishermen. I would only get a percentage of the selling costs. The problem was solved by, bless his heart, John Bridges, Jaybee, the original creator of NESA, who put me in touch with a mate who got it printed in Croatia for £3,000 but that made me the author and publisher (Stores Publishing - we've yet to be floated lol).

So £10,000 in sales less £3,000 in costs (I couldn't think of including the countless years of holidays, B&B and petrol in the mix) = £7.000 minus the cost of the license to the OS for the maps, the cost of the ISBN number, the books I've given away to family, friends, those who helped, tackle shops that got it with a profit margin and a number of fishing comp raffle tables etc and finally the fact that I still charge £1 p&p when the actual charge is over £2 means that my lifestyle hasn't changed a jot.

Good news is I wouldn't have had it any other way. Writing the book had never been about making money, as you all know. It was about remembering the old man and I think I've done something that a lot of NESA members would like to do, not from a "I've caught this and been there" point of view but more a "This is who we were and what we did" angle.

The main legacy, for me, as I only fish a couple of times a year now, is the help I can give NESA members, usually through pm's, that will produce the next generation of lovers of the SE Borders. I'm sure they will have their stories to tell and, having fished all my marks, will improve the knowledge of the area with their own shots.

Comment

• Great stuff mate I am glad publishing a great helpful book did not cost you a fortune as to be honest I would tell anyone to read it. My wife hates fishing but loved the book. And said it most of been great times in your life.

Comment

• Book

If there's any left, PM me, I'd love one.
                Cheers
                Alan

Comment

• Originally posted by over par View Post
                  If there's any left, PM me, I'd love one.
                  Cheers
                  Alan
                  Book's on its way Alan. Hope you enjoy it.

Comment

• Just to say that Billy's Tackle Shop in North Shields has copies of the book in stock.

Comment

• Hope this doesn't sound like a terrible plug (which for the last 5 years I've tried to avoid) but Alan Charlton has just e-mailed me saying the book is on sale on Amazon at £50. It's still £9.99 + £1 p&p from me - please don't get ripped off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stores View Post
                        Hope this doesn't sound like a terrible plug (which for the last 5 years I've tried to avoid) but Alan Charlton has just e-mailed me saying the book is on sale on Amazon at £50. It's still £9.99 + £1 p&p from me - please don't get ripped off.
                        Fair enough

I'll take a copy of your book, about time I had a read...PM coming
                        Best shore catch 2016 - 7.5lb cod, Seaton Carew!
                        CS RNLI representative – www.rnli.org

Comment

• Just finished reading David's book and must say it was compelling reading. The stories of the trips with his Dad are both warming to the heart but also informative and full of great factual tips. This book is a must read to any of you thinking of fishing the Scottish Borders but also gives great tips for our local beaches at Tynemouth. Cant recommend it highly enough, get a copy, a few beers and settle down for a night in.

Comment

• Comments on davids book

Hello David, nice to meet you at the N v S Tyne Challenge did not realise you were the author of the Codling Crouch until now. I have read your book and thought it was brilliant, very informative and helpful to me a newbie to sea fishing

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevw View Post
                              Hello David, nice to meet you at the N v S Tyne Challenge did not realise you were the author of the Codling Crouch until now. I have read your book and thought it was brilliant, very informative and helpful to me a newbie to sea fishing
                              Hi Kev,

It was nice to meet you both. Glad you enjoyed the comp. Have always found it difficult to introduce myself as someone else (especially if you then blank lol). Best to keep shtum and do a bit of paper pushing. Also glad you enjoyed the book. Thanks for your kind words Andy. Hope it helps with your "addiction".

Comment

• Good book no good if your disabled

Originally posted by TC View Post
                                Please post your comments / reviews of Davids book under this topic.
                                If the book had marks easy to fish would have been better ideal for a fit youg lad some interesting places

Comment

Working...
                                X